Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a tune up on the 318 TBI,  cap, rotor, plugs, also new oil pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets, new balancer, new CAT and muffler, fixed all the oil leaks, when I bought the Ramcharger it ran rich, the vacuum valve on the intake was stuck open, plugged it off, runs much better.
It will start right up cold, runs good, shut it off, fires right up, but wait 5 minute's  and it is hard to start cranks a while before it starts, but after you start it shut it off, then hit the key and it fires right back up, wait 5 minutes and hard to start?????

Changed out the ASD relay no change, changed out the coil no change,

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sounds like the fuel pressure is bleeding off.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be but I will cycle the key twice before I try to start and you can here the ASD click each time, and still it is hard to start.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
guess or test .......

·
Registered
399 Posts
Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and you will know for sure that is the problem.Fuel pressure should be @15 psi,slightly higher on hard acceleration.
On shutdown,monitor fuel pressure. It may/may not drop a lb or so on shutdown but it should hold the line pressure indefinitely. A tight system will hold that pressure or close to it for an hour and may drop down to10,5 psi after several hours or overnight.
Key switched to on once before cranking after overnight will bring fuel pressure up to spec-on a tight system.
If pressure can be seen bleeding off,fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump is culprit. If pump is culprit,but it has good operating pressure,an inline check valve can be installed for a cheap fix.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I spent Sunday changing out parts, I have quite a few parts, had a used TBI of a running motor, no change, attached fuel pressure gauge, 13 to 14 PSI, but it would bleed off, fumes coming from TBI, injectors bleeding off, took the set out of the TBI on the shelf, they held pressure, but one did not spray, will replace both injectors, thinking that may be the hard to start issue, after it warms up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Installed new injectors, held pressure, but driver would not spray, changed the wiring harness, all good, fires cold and after it warms up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.