Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all... I have been doing some searching for the 1988-1991 TBI trucks and ramchargercentral was mentioned alot so I figured I would come to the experts. I have a 1989 Dodge D150 with a TBI 318... all original except the previous owner removed the cats and installed 2.25 dual exhaust. It has 71,000 miles on it when I bought it last year. Truck ran great, I filled it up and brought it home(roughly 1.5 hour drive) and was on ¹/⁴ tank which I figured was a little steep. Come to find out the fuel tank module was leaking fuel out of the module... it was already hacked by someone and I attempted to patch the existing repair but it only made it worse... plastic became brittle and was starting to crack and break. So I took the original tank and straps out and put a 20 gallon fuel cell in the bed. It is a bottom sump and is a vented fuel cell. I installed a 8094 Fuel pump on the frame rail. I have 3/8 hose coming to the fuel pump through an Earl's fuel filter with I believe 30 microns or so. It exits the pump through 5/16 stock size line to a brand new stock fuel filter. Then goes through stock lines from there back onto the throttle body. I wired the fuel pump with a os75 pressure switch using an H4 3 prong wire connector. The original oil pressure was switched for a manual guage. I also hardwired in a on-off switch just incase it wasnt building enough pressure or if I wanted to prime the system. The truck sat for a year before I was able to repair it. The problem I am having is it seems like it it dosnt want to start without having to press the gas. Then once it's going i have to keep giving it gas, roughly about 3/4 throttle to keep it running. If I let off the gas it will die. It did have a little water in it at first but I drained the water out by putting a hose in a jug. Unless it caught some more water again. I am going to pull another sample yo check for that. When it is running it seems to be running a little rough and black smoke coming out the exhaust here and there. It's been apart for about a year so I was gonna do a voltage test on the TPS, MAP sensor, and IAC and make sure they spec out. Is there anything else I could be missing guys? Is there a decent code reader that would work for our trucks or use the old paperclip truck trick? Thanks for any insight:)

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the fuel system has a pressure regulator on the rear of the engine . it is a spring loaded diaphragm and vacume line deal . The system runs on 14 psi , with excess flow being returned to the tank . If the diaphragm is bad fuel will pass thru it and into the vacume line , if your pump makes TOO much pressure or TOO much volume for the return line to handle it will rupture the diaphragm , and/or put too much pressure to the 2 injectors .
check for restricted return line , too much pump flow/pressure , and check fuel pressure to injectors , it's "flooding"
a carb term for WAY too rich ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 8094 fuel pump supplies a maximum of 17 psi with 60gph... this was the pump recommended to me by multiple sources for an external TBI pump. I double checked everything and when I had plugged the hose back into the MAP sensor it broke from being brittle and I didnt see it. New hose installed and now runs like it's supposed to! Glad it's something simple.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.