Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A 1988 W350 WITH A 360ci ENGINE. HAS DEVELOPED A SEVERE MISS, WHICH APPEARS TO BE AN INTAKE VALVE. LOCAL NAPA GUY SAYS THESE ENGINES ARE PRONE TO THESE PROBLEMS. THIS ENGINE IS HORRIBLY WEAK AND GETS HORRIBLE GAS MILEAGE (NEVER OVER 10 MPG). AM THINKING IT WOULD BE WISE TO SWAP THE ENGINE FOR SOMETHING BETTER INSTEAD OF JUST REPLACING THE HEADS. ANY ADVICE ON AN ENGINE UPGRADE THAT WOULD BE A REASONABLY SIMPLE SWAP THAT WOULD NOT REQUIRE A BUNCH OF MODIFICATIONS? THIS TRUCK WAS ORIGINALLY A SNOWPLOW TRUCK IN SOME TOWN/CITY IN MANITOBA, CANADA.

·
Registered
990 Posts
10 mpg sounds about right for a 360 in a 1 ton truck, keep in mind you most likely have 4.10 gears so youre not gonna see good mpg. 88 should still be a carb on a 360, are your sure that isnt the issue? I disagree with the local NAPA guy, but if the problem truly is heads and the rest of the engine is sound I surely wouldn't replace the whole thing. For a simple swap get a 5.9 magnum from a 93 or up, its a bolt in swap and you can easily convert it to a carb setup

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
You didn't mention the mileage, but I reckon the engine is wore. Keep/rebuild the 360. Changing pistons/compression & maybe cam timing could wake up the power quite a bit. Mileage will never get out of the teens though.

Bucky

Reactions: neil4224

·
Super Moderator
29,560 Posts
Rebuild the 360, toss the heads in favor of Magnum heads.

·
Registered
29,364 Posts
since everyone else forgot - howdy and welcome

please refrain from using CAPS on the internet , using CAPS is like Yelling at someone in person , whatcha yellin at us for , we didnt do nuttin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

please refrain from using CAPS on the internet , using CAPS is like Yelling at someone in person , whatcha yellin at us for , we didnt do nuttin
Sorry about the CAPS. I do a lot of my documents in all-caps for work as a matter of course and didn't realize until I got back to the feed and saw your post.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10 mpg sounds about right for a 360 in a 1 ton truck, keep in mind you most likely have 4.10 gears so youre not gonna see good mpg. 88 should still be a carb on a 360, are your sure that isnt the issue? I disagree with the local NAPA guy, but if the problem truly is heads and the rest of the engine is sound I surely wouldn't replace the whole thing. For a simple swap get a 5.9 magnum from a 93 or up, its a bolt in swap and you can easily convert it to a carb setup
I'm sure the differentials have 4.10 gears, so the mileage isn't all that much of a surprise. Last year I replaced the carb (was a Summit) with a new Edelbrock (had my local repair shop do it), so it shouldn't be a carb issue. I've had the truck for about 4 years, and the power issue has been an issue from day 1.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You didn't mention the mileage, but I reckon the engine is wore. Keep/rebuild the 360. Changing pistons/compression & maybe cam timing could wake up the power quite a bit. Mileage will never get out of the teens though.

Bucky
The odometer isn't accurate. Mileage reads 38665, but when I bought the truck about 4 years ago it was 67,000 (+/-). I generally only use the truck to plow snow, so I know the current numbers are bogus. In general, I assume the truck has a bunch of miles on it. I know that's not a very definitive number, but that's what it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everybody's input. I asked the repair shop for more information on the compression check they did. The one cylinder leaked air back through the intake manifold (burned valve) when they put air to it, and the other 7 cylinders were apparently good. I'm leaning toward getting a set of heads to fix the immediately problem.

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
fresh heads with clean valves and boosting compression on a cylinder should help a bit with your power. You can also see about increasing your timing a little, making sure all your tires are well inflated, etc for a little more mileage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fresh heads with clean valves and boosting compression on a cylinder should help a bit with your power. You can also see about increasing your timing a little, making sure all your tires are well inflated, etc for a little more mileage.
ToxicDoc, thanks for the comments. I'm not really worried so much about the mileage; I do drive it to work some to keep miles off my good truck, but generally it's a work truck on the ranch with the primary purpose to plow snow (northeast Wyoming). I put new tires (Hankook DynaPro) a couple years ago, and have them at around 65 psi, so that's good. Advancing the timing a bit hadn't come up on my radar screen but I'll try it.

·
Registered
29,364 Posts
your gas mileage will go back up a little

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

Maybe his favorite actor is Kevin Hart... It's what he does. LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe his favorite actor is Kevin Hart... It's what he does. LOL

Naa, I don't even know who Kevin Hart is. I just didn't know what I was doing. I'll do better next time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any advice on where/how to find replacement heads to up the compression ratio? I know I would be looking for stock OEM heads, but don't know what to ask for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I haven't had time to take care of my engine problem (work gets in the way this summer). I decided to do another compression test to get a better idea if there's a lower engine problem that would indicate I ought to be considering a long block and not just heads.

I did a dry test with the engine warmed up, but unfortunately didn't open the throttle plate, and did not do the same number of cycles for each . Not sure if the data is any good, but the results were 1-104; 2-110; 3-112; 4-115; 5-116; 6-110; 7-102; 8-105. Any thoughts on whether I am okay to replace just the heads on this one?

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
Data won't be any good with the throttle closed - no air in to compress. head replacement would be risking unknown block/ring situation but I've seen plenty of people do it.

·
Registered
29,364 Posts
yup throttle wide open , fuel pump relay removed

1 - 20 of 21 Posts