·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1988 W100
318 TBI
SMEC
See https://www.mopartruckparts.com/gallery/g282.html

The Check Engine light came on and the code designated a battery charging problem. Alternator output measured at the alternator's battery stud at idle was 14.3. Battery voltage at the same time was 12.4.

Visual inspection revealed what appeared to be a location of a desintigrated connector on the 6 gauge alternator charging wire along the left inner fender. However, no remnants of any connector are apparent. The two ends of this 6 gauge wire came apart with just a light touch and a black 20 gauge wire that apparently was spliced in at this location also came loose. I believe that the 20 gauge black wire feeds the ammeter.

So, I need some advice.

1. What kind of connector joined the two ends of the 6 gauge charging wire at this location?

2. How should I rejoin the two ends of the 6 gauge charging wire?

3. Should I just splice the 20 gauge black ammeter (?) wire back in at this location?

Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to post pics but it keeps saying ERROR, files not supported.

Anyhow, I used a butt connector to join the two ends of the 6 gauge alternator to battery wire and spliced in the black 20 gauge wire.  Topped off with heat shrink tubing.

Ram’s running now with alternator output of 14.35 at idle and battery voltage at 14.2 at idle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No fuse in the connectors, but fusible links are close by.  When the problem first appeared, I suspected a fusible link had gone bad after three decades, but inspection revealed that the connector had disintegrated.  Joining the two 6 gauge wire ends with a butt connector and wrapping it with heat shrink tubing solved the problem.  Still running and charging great 6 months later.

Merry Christmas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.