Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently  put a set of headers and true dual 2.25" exhaust on my 88 dodge with the 318 TBI and it started right up and ran great right off.  But when i start to drive it (put the engine under load) it instantly starts to bog and stumble.  And the more i try to feather the throttle to keep it from stalling it chokes up even more and has began to stall after a few seconds of struggle.  What could this be i checked my TPS just for the hell of it and its good. Could it be lack of fuel pressure?

·
Registered
232 Posts
What did you do regarding the O2 sensor and other smog stuff on it?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Broncowilly said:
What did you do regarding the O2 sensor and other smog stuff on it?
+1

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its got dual high flow cats just before the mufflers which are just behind the T-case.  And as for the O2 sensor i welded a bung on the collector right off the header flange.  I figured that would be the best place since it will be getting the exhaust off all 4 cyls on that side.  and as for the smog pump and all that i took that off a few years ago.  My uncle the previous owner put a plate over where the egr should be.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Have you checked for codes?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked for codes and i got

12, 37, 52

37 has to do with something in my trans im guessing but code 52 means that the system is running rich due to readings from the O2 sensor id guess.  Its a pretty new bosch sensor (within a year or so) with 3 wires. I know that the O2 sensors with 3 wires had one for heating it up to operating temp, and i am wondering if maybe its not getting hot enough on the collector to work properly?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Rampower88 said:
I just checked for codes and i got

12, 37, 52

37 has to do with something in my trans im guessing but code 52 means that the system is running rich due to readings from the O2 sensor id guess. Its a pretty new bosch sensor (within a year or so) with 3 wires. I know that the O2 sensors with 3 wires had one for heating it up to operating temp, and i am wondering if maybe its not getting hot enough on the collector to work properly?
From Allpar:

12- Battery or computer recently disconnected (will occur on most cars most of the time, it indicates a low / missing battery happened in the last 50 key starts. Don't worry about it. - Tom Wand)

37- Shift indicator light failure, 5-speed
OR
part throttle lock/unlock solenoid driver circuit (87-89)
OR
solenoid coil circuit (85-89 Turbo I-IV)
OR
Trans temperature sensor voltage low (1995 and on; see NOTE 2)

52- Oxygen sensor stuck at rich position (SEE NOTE #5!)
NOTE #5.
Wade Goldman wrote: In my case, the breather tube leading into the catalytic converter had rusted and become detached. This some how would cause the sensor to read an over rich condition and run crummy. I did not trust the reliability of the weld over a corroded surface and opted for the more expensive route of replacing the converter, breather tube and all.

I think you should reinstall the AIR injection pump and run it back to the heads. The computer is programmed to read the extra air injected by the air pump. That air "leans" the exhaust. If the O2 sensor doesn't sense the "leaned" exhaust, it thinks the engine is running rich and then leans out the fuel mixture. This is why you don't go disconnecting and removing emissions controls just because you think the EPA is a government plot to ruin your life and global warming is a hoax..

·
Registered
232 Posts
The computer compensates or detunes according to the reports it gets from the sensors.  What you’ve done by installing the headers and rearranging where the O2 sensor is sent erroneous information to the computer. 

I think your best option is to put it back stock with the headers and see what you get like Reed suggested.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you plug the smog ports on the heads? My 89 also is a little off sense I did headers. The Computer just sucks and cant keep up well with upgrades and better air flow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.