Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 360 RC w/ the Quadrajet carb and an auto trans.

1. I am having trouble with the secondaries not opening on the carb

2. as well as the truck being hard to turn over on occasion .

3. There 2 electric vacuum switches on the passenger wheel well near the hood hinge and I can't seem to figure what these are for . (One on my truck appears to be disconnected.)

There seems to be about 6 miles of vacuum hose on this truck can any of the valves/ switches be bypassed? Any help would be great!

Hal

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
recovered from the database.Sorry for the inconvience, seems like a couple of messages get "lost" per day and don't appear on the board for some reason

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
1. If the secondaries are not opening, either: the engine is in worn condition or poor tune and not pulling enough vacuum to make them work; or, the vacuum ports/linkages/pivots/throttle shafts are dirty or gunked up and sticking; or someone has put too strong of a return spring in...

2. On the hard to turn-over, we need more detail, cold? warm? hot? after sitting warm? And, do you mean that the starter seems to "struggle" to spin the engine, or that it spins but doesn't fire ?

3. Well, to really figure out and repair the vacuum line routing, almost absolutely requires a factory service manual, because the smaller aftermarket manuals do not adequately address all the lines. Good luck, this job sucks,...

But check out Chump's schematics and discussion in your "other" thread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stater seems to turn hard as if it was a warm high compression motor , the motor doesn't need to be hot for this to happen and it doesn't happen consistantly. The 360 is a rebuilt unit with only a few thousand miles on and it was professionally rebuilt. I have a factory shop manual but it doesn"t appear to address those 2 vac switches on the pass. wheel well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.