Dodge RamCharger Central banner

1987 Ramcharger Stalling

1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  dodge82273 
Whenever you smell gasoline that strongly , stop , look for wet gas all over the intake around the "new" carb . IF you see wet gas , stop . do nothing to ignite the spilled gas .  carbs can and do overflow .
no the temp gauges on these year trucks are OFTEN at 1/4 to 1/3rd tank and the engine is running at normal temps , with your ignition system , it has no effect on a computor ...... no worries there . seems like the shop is willing to fight "the problem" I'm going to guess its a automatic choke issue at this point , several bad rebuilt
carbs ? yes possible ,..  and or how old are the "technicians " how much do they work with carbs? and zero computer ?  whistling sound : the air cleaner is also a silencer , so it could be just that , after the engine is warm completely , remove the air filter , LOOK at the carb , it has a flat plate at the air inlet , a choke plate , ounce warm , that plate should be vertical / open , cold it should be closed ... 

good to hear about the repair shop , hang on to them ., what suprises me is this at some point a I'd of thought  that the mechanic would have LOOKED at one of these 'rebuilt" carbs himself , because at some point the parts place is going to give him a hard time , how many bad ones can ya get in a row ? ya know ? one thing you don't want to do is start reading on'line about all the "possibility's " and start "fixing" everything at ounce . Let one play out before ya jump to another ,sadly, many of the imported NEW parts are NO GOOD in the box .

please to let us know how you make out , thanks :)

if you thought that many bad carbs was sumptin ..... voltage regulators have been a BIG issue lately , bad , too much charge/too little charge right out of the box .....  check ground strap/wires and the bolt that HOLDS the reg to firewall ( it IS the ground) ...

esrbtwo said:
Thanks for the heads up, because that might be whats going on here. Something else bad out of the box lol. The one on it is all over the place, and is a new unit. The voltage is going from 8v to 16v and anything in between. Now that I know it's a known issue, that will save me some time, because I would have had a hard time believing two were bad out of the box, even after going through all these carbs lol
test the wire that POWERS the regulator from the key switch , if that voltage is jumping around , all regulators will do the same , check the ground wires from engine TO firewall . al those things good ? buy a different regulator from a different source ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.