Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this goes here or in vehicle help section??
But here goes anyway. I have a 1987 RC that once had a 318 in it. Anyway to make a long story short, I have a built up 360 in it now. We used the distributor from the 318 which is the non vacuum advance type. It has the lean burn computer in it. I am thinking I should switch to the "orange box" & the MP vacuum advance distributor. Would this be a wise move? Thanks for any input on this.
Dan

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
What carburator are you running? I have the lean burn in my 85, and I can't wait to get rid of it. As it stands right now, the computer controls your advance. If you don't have the 2bbl carb on it, the computer is not happy because it can't control the idle or the power valve...so it is not running well. If you do have the 2bbl then you are not making any power with this setup, that Holley 6280 is a piece of sh*t.
There is no mechanical advance in the lean burn distributor either, it is just computer controlled timing. The MP distributor would be a good bet, just use both of the springs (comes with a light and a heavy spring).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Carter AFB 4-barrel, right now I don't have the vacuum line from the computer connected to anything.
What other items will I need to make this switch besides the wiring harness? Ballast resistor? Voltage regulator?
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
813 Posts
The mopar Performance ignition conversion kit comes with everything you will need, except maybe some additional wire and screws and such. It has a new distributor, orange box, and ballast resistor. Put it in and don't look back. If you're really on a budget, you could get a "rebuilt" distributor from an auto parts store along with an aftermarket box, and a connector from a junkyard.
I would get the kit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I alreadyhave the orange box, bought it on ebay thinking I was going to change out my stock "box". Not knowing I had the lean burn computer. Since than I have also picked up a vacuum advance distributor. So I guess I still need the ballast resistor and wiring harness. Will I also need a different voltage regulator???
Thanks,
Dan

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
DanCharger said:
I alreadyhave the orange box, bought it on ebay thinking I was going to change out my stock "box". Not knowing I had the lean burn computer. Since than I have also picked up a vacuum advance distributor. So I guess I still need the ballast resistor and wiring harness. Will I also need a different voltage regulator???
Thanks,
Dan
Nope, your voltage regulator should be on the firewall above the engine. The TBI computers had a voltage regulator built in, but not the lean burn computers. Your engine will thank you for dumping this POS system.
You will also have to change some of the vacuum routing around, like the actuation of the EGR and such.

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Oh man are you making a good move, the only good Lean Burn system I have ever seen was perched majesticly on a trash heap!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks,
Dan
Nope, your voltage regulator should be on the firewall above the engine. The TBI computers had a voltage regulator built in, but not the lean burn computers. Your engine will thank you for dumping this POS system.
You will also have to change some of the vacuum routing around, like the actuation of the EGR and such.
Mine was carberated & not TBI, but still has the Lean burn in it. Don't have an EGR or any of the pollution stuff on it any more. So I don't need to worry about all other vacuum lines as they have been eliminated. But I am still wondering about the voltage regulator?? Thanks for the reply though!
Dan

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
DanCharger said:
Thanks,
Dan
Mine was carberated & not TBI, but still has the Lean burn in it. Don't have an EGR or any of the pollution stuff on it any more. So I don't need to worry about all other vacuum lines as they have been eliminated. But I am still wondering about the voltage regulator?? Thanks for the reply though!
Dan
Like I said, only the TBI engines had the computer control voltage. You should have a voltage regulator above the engine on your firewall, the lean burn computer did not regulate voltage.
Hope this clarifies what I meant.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
It' bolted to the fire wall above the dist. and a little toward the pass. side. About 4" long, 2-1/2" wide 1" thick (or so) Has plug with wires on the lower face of it.

The stock volt. reg. will work fine with the orange box set up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.