Dodge RamCharger Central banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Unless you are planning to do a lot of off road driving I would not bother with a different carburetor, there is very little difference between the two anyway and all Holley carburetors can be modified for off-road use.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Here is a picture of the fan that is under the RamCharger, not quite sure why, I think it all has to do with cooling..

View attachment 632826
trans cooler... no way in hell id put it there. even if it will only see dry sand. good way to fill the engine bay with sand. .....rocks ... good by cooler

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I’d go with the 670 personally…..Be aware that unless you are taking advantage of the truck avenger for the off road related performance it does lack in certain areas for an all around carb. They are all jetted very rich out of the box so a key change is almost mandatory, and there is a slight off idle dead spot that can never seemed to be tuned out….I have 2 of them and while they do what they are meant to do there are better all around carbs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Unless you are planning to do a lot of off road driving I would not bother with a different carburetor, there is very little difference between the two anyway and all Holley carburetors can be modified for off-road use.
I've been doing a lot of research and it looks like the holley 670 is good for off road but no good for general driving and the 770 that is in it is probably too big and will guzzle gas, so know I am thinking of going fuel injection. I believe you said you had already done this to your truck and wanted your opinion... Thanks, -J

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I've been doing a lot of research and it looks like the holley 670 is good for off road but no good for general driving and the 770 that is in it is probably too big and will guzzle gas, so know I am thinking of going fuel injection. I believe you said you had already done this to your truck and wanted your opinion... Thanks, -J
Fuel injection is definitely the way to go if you want trouble-free performance and driveablity, there's several self-learning fuel injection kits available that bolt in place of a carburetor like the Holley Sniper I'm running, night and day difference from the old carburetor I'd been running for the last twelve years.

Motor vehicle Hood Car Vehicle Automotive exterior

The Holley Sniper EFI on my truck, installation is very straightforward, the fuel return line is the hardest part of most of the conversions I've done.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

judging by the kick down cable being used instead of the arm .... im gona say its mite have a 518/618 OD from like 94-ish trans in it. maby....

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
So long as you use the correct throttle arm like the one on my truck there won't be an issue with the kick down cable conversion. Actually it would probably be fine without the arm as it's setup for the GM style kick down out of the box.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
440 4spd Power Ram skip that I shouldn't make you do my homework for me, I am definitely going efi (most likely holley) just not sure what model... also to be honest I am learning as I go with all this... thanks for all the help, -J

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
A base Sniper 650 is what I'd recommend, good for up to 650hp but happy on a stock engine as well.

I'll also suggest a progressive linkage kit as the stock synchronized four barrel is too touchy for most, and may be too much for a shockish 360 to handle at low speed.

For the fuel system I'd swap to a factory EFI gas tank, '88-90 or '91-93 will work, I've found the perfect fuel pump for this conversion using the early tank, it probably would work in the later sending unit as well but I've not tested it yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Thanks everyone for the help, I am currently saving for the Sniper 650 EFI system (thx 440 4spd Power Ram) and keeping the Street Avenger 770 in the beast, I am planning on moving the oil cooler and replacing the lines with braided steel with AN fittings (thx Elwenil), putting a seperate battery with an isolator for all the stuff that was put on there, moving/replacing the heator core pipes to what should be there, and possibly putting the ac unit back in that was ripped out... did I miss anything?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
The A518 was renamed the 46RH to comply with federal regulations, to tell if it's a lockup converter or not look at the plugin at the rear of the case, two wire is non-lockup and three wire is a locking converter. Both are four speed overdrive transmissions, the lockup does feel like another gear but is not a actual 5th gear.

Edited as I typed RE instead of RH as intended.
The transmission is low on fluid and was wondering if there was a preferred fluid for the 46RH transmission, thanks for any help in advance...

61 - 77 of 77 Posts