Dodge RamCharger Central banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,008 Posts
Nothing wrong with an oil cooler or remote oil filter, but those fittings need to go. Every 90° turn your oil has to make shaves off a few PSI and those fittings are the absolute worst. It has braided lines, probably cheap hydraulic, but braided steel with AN fittings would be much better. I personally feel mounting an oil cooler or filters under the vehicle where it could get damaged easily offroad is a pretty bad idea.

Reactions: 440 4spd Power Ram

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Where I am at: 360 Motor, Holley Avenger Carburetor (Being Rebuilt - thx 440 4spd), Lokar Setup, Remote Oil Cooler & Filter (Most likely will be moved and lines replaced - thx Elwenil)... What else should I be checking out besides the transmission and how do I find out what transmission I have (where to take pictures find numbers)... Thx RCCADMAN for the info on the Avenger Carburetor plus the Lokar setup and everyone else for taking time to help me figure this thing out... Still for sale to get nice rv or van for parents but I'm loving it more and more...

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Take a picture of the transmission # on the drivers side of the case above the pan. I'm betting on a A518 from a '92-up.

Font Sharing Cylinder Illustration Drawing

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The truck avenger is an awesome offroad carb, I believe that is a street avenger though, as rich as the TAs run a 770 would be horrible on a 360.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The truck avenger is an awesome offroad carb, I believe that is a street avenger though, as rich as the TAs run a 770 would be horrible on a 360.
Thanks for the input but I am not well versed on carburetors and was unaware of different avenger versions, how do I confirm which Avenger I have?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Thanks for the input but I am not well versed on carburetors and was unaware of different avenger versions, how do I confirm which Avenger I have?
The # 80770 tells us what size and type the carburetor is, a 770cfm street avenger series. If it was properly setup when installed it should make really good power, fuel mileage might not be the greatest but that's likely why the transmission was changed to a later overdrive unit.

·
Super Moderator
31,008 Posts
52118732 is the part number, it's a 46RH. Pity, the NV4500 manual would have been cool.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Take a picture of the transmission # on the drivers side of the case above the pan. I'm betting on a A518 from a '92-up.

View attachment 632837
It's a 46RH (Thx Elwenil) but I don't know anything about transmissions - does that make it a A518 also? Don't laugh but in an earlier post you said it maybe a A518 lockup converter transmission with two toggle switches, not actually a 5spd automatic as there is no such transmission with a kickdown cable, does that mean it is not a 5 speed transmission and if so what have I got? Thx, Jay

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
It's a 46RH (Thx Elwenil) but I don't know anything about transmissions - does that make it a A518 also? Don't laugh but in an earlier post you said it maybe a A518 lockup converter transmission with two toggle switches, not actually a 5spd automatic as there is no such transmission with a kickdown cable, does that mean it is not a 5 speed transmission and if so what have I got? Thx, Jay
The A518 was renamed the 46RH to comply with federal regulations, to tell if it's a lockup converter or not look at the plugin at the rear of the case, two wire is non-lockup and three wire is a locking converter. Both are four speed overdrive transmissions, the lockup does feel like another gear but is not a actual 5th gear.

Edited as I typed RE instead of RH as intended.

·
Administrator
31,526 Posts
The 518 became the 46RH, which in 96 or 97 became the 46RE (computer controlled).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
About to do the oil change and was wondering what grade high mileage oil I should use bearing in mind it does have the oil cooler and two filters. I live in GA by Atlanta but the truck seems to be geared for sand so I'm thinking on something like 5W40 but I am not a mechanic or anything. I was also planning on staying away from synthetic but I am open to any opinions or advice on the type, grade and brand (currently thinking STP). Thx, -J

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Factory was 10w-30 but lots of guys run rotella 5w-40 - if you can find it. Its a diesel oil so controversial for the catalytic convertor health. I run mobil1 10w-30 in the gassers becasue its cheap-ish in the 5 qt jugs

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Since its still a flat tappet cam engine Id use diesel oil, or something with zinc in it (valvoline VR1, castrol classic car, etc)...Any modern regular oil doesnt really have enough zinc nowadays.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
My 1987 Ramcharger 4WD with a 360 engine and 46rh transmission currently has a Holley 80770 770 CFM Street Avenger Carburetor and I'm thinking about changing to a Holley Truck Avenger carburetor but unsure which one would be best. They come in three models 90470 (470 cfm), 90670 (670 cfm) and 90770 (770 cfm) and would appreciate any advice... The truck has been modified for off-road... Thanks for any advice in advance

41 - 60 of 77 Posts