Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any info on the untized hubs used on these trucks (4x4)

specifically demensions, pattern used to attach the axle and spline count.

I searched but not with much luck, thanks!

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
by unitized hubs I'm thinking of the sealed non-servicable type the newer pickups run,
but on your era Dodge pop that chrome cap off and there's standard bearings, just no locking hub to deal with

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
exactly something like this:

I'm trying to use one of these or one off a new durango to convert my Jeep's botl pattern to 5x5.5

the ram would work but uses a 33 spline shaft that I cannot get the correct length outer shaft to work on the jeep.

I remember seeing a hub like this on late 80's ( I think )
1/2 4x4

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
The 85-93 Dodge trucks use nothing even remotely similar to that. They use servicable wheel bearings. What your looking for is 94 and up Ram.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
interesting, I looked at the 94+ already and it would work but it is 33 spline and the outer stub shaft is too long.

any idea if there is an outer shaft that is 33 spline but shorter?

I have seen something similiar to this on a older Ram PU could it be from something prior to 85?

Thanks for the help, I'm struggling to find a dealer or parts house interested in digging though any of this stuff with me

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Why use the unit hubs? They are not a great design especially if you plan to run rather large tires on offset rims. Most Dana axles with unit hubs could possibly be converted to the regular hubs.

Ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking for a relatively quick and easy solution to convert my Jeep cherokee (little one) to 5x5.5. I'm looking at putting one togetherwith locking hubs but right now the only "kit"to do that cost around $1000

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
well 74-79 Dodges have what you could call a unit hub i guess. But they have 4.5 inch bolt pattern.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Your wife must be thrilled with what you have done to the patio table ;D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that helps alot.

The hub I saw had 3 bolts used to mount it to the knuckle, it was on the ground, starting to wonder what it was for.
How do you guys convert that style to a manual hub? Is it replace the knuckle type deal?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts