Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I recently bought a 1986 Dodge ramcharger with the snocommander package.  I know about the suspension and all that jazz but what I want to know is how many did they make?  Also it has the 360 with a 4 speed manual. 

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
round here every dodge with a plow was a snofiter , l have two if them a 1977 and a 1983 / l,m in snow country western MA

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Yeah, the Sno Fiter and Sno Commander trucks were basically just a snow plow prep package and a lot of trucks were sold with that option.  Exactly how many is anyone's guess since Chrysler never released detailed (if any) production figures for our trucks.  It was not an uncommon option, especially in the Northeast.  If anything, the 4 speed would be considered a little scarce and more so as the model years went on.  It's all moot as there really is no collector value for these trucks so getting down to production numbers and specific options is nothing more than a curiosity in most cases.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My understanding is that the Snow-Fiter option was a factory option.  So would a dealer installed plow package really be the Snow-Fiter? 

An example would be buying a 1967 fast back Mustang with a 289 and having the dealer install a 390 and installing GTA or GT trim and badges.  Would it then be a GTA or GT?  I would say no.  Just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool yeah I was wondering because I own a '90 dodge cummins that I got t-boned in so its shot but I was either going to restore the ramcharger and keep it the same or put that cummins in it if its not anything special.

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
The plow could be installed from the factory, or it could be installed as either a Mopar accessory or a dealer could usually get the kits directly from the plow manufacturer a little cheaper.  If it was a factory plow or Mopar accessory, it would be a Meyer plow kit.  So if you have a Western, Fisher or other brand plow, it was added at the dealer or by an owner.

The snow plow prep package (Sno Fiter, Snow Commander or whatever) was a factory option, but like now, is available without the plow kit itself.  As a matter of fact, I don't think you can get a plow factory mounted anymore unless you do the commercial fleet deal.  At least the Ram website doesn't list it as a regular option anymore.  Either way the plow prep package was just a group of normal options tossed together to support the plow, and were available separately.  They basically consist of heavier front springs, heavy duty cooling and maybe a higher amp alternator.  Stripes and decals were also sometimes part of the package but were less and less obvious as the years went on.

·
Registered
232 Posts
SnakePlissken said:
Cool yeah I was wondering because I own a '90 dodge cummins that I got t-boned in so its shot but I was either going to restore the ramcharger and keep it the same or put that cummins in it if its not anything special.
Do the Cummins swap! You won't be sorry. :)

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Use the axles and suspension from the Cummins truck or you might be sorry, lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha yeah I would have to! Plus just for the tires alone 8 lug vs 5 lug. Alright cool I just wanted to know if it was worth keeping around I thought the no lock 4 wheel drive was pretty cool so I figured I would find out before I go ripping it apart. This one has the original stickers still on it and I want to keep them on there for kicks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Can you post a photo of it?

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
The CAD "shift on the fly" axle is the only axle available on all '85-'93 4WD 1/2 tons and light duty 4WD 3/4 and 1 tons.  So not really anything special and actually can be a bit of a liability if used hard since they tend to bow over time with abuse or even carrying a heavy snow plow.  I've seen several CAD D44 equipped trucks with a plow that have a bent front axle.  I definitely recommend swapping to a D60 front if you do a Cummins swap due to the extreme weight of the Cummins 6BT.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Elwenil said:
The plow could be installed from the factory, or it could be installed as either a Mopar accessory or a dealer could usually get the kits directly from the plow manufacturer a little cheaper. If it was a factory plow or Mopar accessory, it would be a Meyer plow kit. So if you have a Western, Fisher or other brand plow, it was added at the dealer or by an owner.

The snow plow prep package (Sno Fiter, Snow Commander or whatever) was a factory option, but like now, is available without the plow kit itself. As a matter of fact, I don't think you can get a plow factory mounted anymore unless you do the commercial fleet deal. At least the Ram website doesn't list it as a regular option anymore. Either way the plow prep package was just a group of normal options tossed together to support the plow, and were available separately. They basically consist of heavier front springs, heavy duty cooling and maybe a higher amp alternator. Stripes and decals were also sometimes part of the package but were less and less obvious as the years went on.
im a salesman for the three American brands and I can confirm a plow from the factory is not an option. The plow prep package is of course. If the customer wants a plow we order the truck with the prep package then send the truck to boss or western, customer preference, and have the plow installed. The customer pays one price for the whole mess but it is aftermarket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.