Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Well new wheels and tires added, lowered it quite a bit more and wound the gears up as well. Running about 2500rpm at 60 now. Wheels are 17 x 9's, with 255/40's up front and 275/40's on rear. Bad part with the drop is SCCA rules are coming back to bite me. Being that the fuel cell is in the back under the bed, I have to have 6 inches of ground clearance from the bottom of the fuel cell to the ground. I am at about 5 and 3/4 inches. Which means I am going to have to remove the bed and lift the fuel cell by about a 1/2 inch to a full inch.

In doing the wheels and tires the dreaded wheel hop came back as well with a vengeance, I think from the increased traction. Came to find out my slapper bars were not close enough to the spring eyelit to stop this from occurring. I ended up picking up an inch longer bumper for the front of the slappers. It appears that it has fixed the problem.

Before on old tires and wheels, you can see the bar slapping pretty hard at the initial start of burnout...

After with new tires and wheels and new "closer" bumper. Hopefully this is the fix, haven't had time or dry enough weather to really try it out.

A question for anyone with spring under axle drag experience: Can you decrease wheel hop by adding an additional leaf spring that is nearly as long as your main leaf? IE help reduce the spring from loading and unloading?

I have read that drag racers supposedly did this back in the 70's and 80's even with slapper bars to reduce wheel hop. Not a lot of information on the web for this type of stuff since it all predates the internet.

If I have to take the bed off anyway might as well add a couple longer leafs at the same while removing some of the shorter to help reduce hop if it does truly work.

Let me know your guys expertise.

Neil

Attachments

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Caltracs or similar should be able to control axle wrap.Just have to adjust them so they dont bind up the suspension.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Man fellas been a crazy few months with this whole covid thing.

Finished the sound deadner on the drivers side floor. Did some measuring and I am pretty sure I can go with 275/40's on the front as the 255/40's clear with ease. Also purchased new powersteering pump, lines, and rear seal for the gear. Hoping to eliminate the slight leak I have at the back.

All events for the public have been very limited on the pit crew and spectator thing so no autocross yet.... but I did make it to the 1/8th mile that is close to my house. They have been opening with pretty good success in turnout, with really no limitations that I could see.

Took a new radiator hose and help from a neighbor to make it to the track but I made it. God she is slow and heavy, loses traction like a champ too. Eased out of it on my launches after blowing the tires off on my first run. Ran three passes, 11.3, 11.4, and 11.5. Best reaction time was .003 on my first run against a hemi 300c. Pulled out on him and he blew past me, his time was 9 something. Here is a video of my second pass on my own... need to learn to trigger the lights faster, truck kept wanting to roll back. Novice driver at its finest.

Been converting a 31ft camper to make a trailer out of it to haul this thing. With the new low pro tires I am running about 2600 rpm in 4th at 60mph. Winding her up past that just feels cruel on the highway and kinda scares me when it comes to wearing out the motor.

Neil

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Caltracs or a slapper leaf.

Look into the rear suspension setup of an SRT-10. It's dead simple but it works really well.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Finally was able to take this thing to a true Autocross Course last Saturday 9/5/2020 at Carfest USA in Wampum PA. Didn't do too terrible. In 8 runs, I spun out once, lost the course 3 times, and went from 70 second runs down to a 58.8 as my best. Instructor rode with me 3 times and even ran the truck after the event was over for 3 additional runs. Said it was one of the wildest things he has been in for as big as it was. Mind you he drove a subaru brz....

Here is I believe my 5th run...

Video is a little rough, still trying to teach the old man some new tricks with the cell phone camera. Didn't get much other usable video. LOL.

Good news is only nuked one brake rotor.... They were old anyway. I know with this kind of abuse I need to go with slotted and dimpled rotors.

Neil

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
Have you checked out UMI motorsports park in Clearfield PA?  They do at least two autocross events there every year.  Check it out and if you get up that way next year let me know, I live about 2 miles away you're welcome to park youre trailer at my place and share my beer!

·
Registered
683 Posts
neil4224 said:
Finally was able to take this thing to a true Autocross Course last Saturday 9/5/2020 at Carfest USA in Wampum PA. Didn't do too terrible. In 8 runs, I spun out once, lost the course 3 times, and went from 70 second runs down to a 58.8 as my best. Instructor rode with me 3 times and even ran the truck after the event was over for 3 additional runs. Said it was one of the wildest things he has been in for as big as it was. Mind you he drove a subaru brz....

Here is I believe my 5th run...

Video is a little rough, still trying to teach the old man some new tricks with the cell phone camera. Didn't get much other usable video. LOL.

Good news is only nuked one brake rotor.... They were old anyway. I know with this kind of abuse I need to go with slotted and dimpled rotors.

Neil
Grew up just up the hill from Wampum (Enon Valley). I did an event there quite a while back. A good friend was probably there. Short dude, about 60, running a pretty hot silver Corvette. He usually places pretty high.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Chilly said:
Grew up just up the hill from Wampum (Enon Valley). I did an event there quite a while back. A good friend was probably there. Short dude, about 60, running a pretty hot silver Corvette. He usually places pretty high.
You still in the area Chilly?

Bought 2 hour drive for me to Wampum. Buddy of mine I grew up with used to run the Go Kart Track there years ago. Said it was one of his faves.

Mopar572 said:
Have you checked out UMI motorsports park in Clearfield PA? They do at least two autocross events there every year. Check it out and if you get up that way next year let me know, I live about 2 miles away you're welcome to park youre trailer at my place and share my beer!
Would definetly hit you up if I ever go that far east. Gotta get the 4wd half ton converted to 1 tons and finish my trailer up before I go much farther away from home. Hate driving the race truck to and back for fear of breakage and not being able to get home in a cheap manner. :'(

Neil

·
Registered
683 Posts
Left Enon Valley long time ago, ended up back in W Pa for about 20 yr (Mercer) but moved to TN a year ago. 

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Hey guys, trailer was done enough and the 4x4 still in half ton auto version was up to snuff to pull the green machine up to Dragway 42 in West Salem Ohio.  What a venue in the middle of no where. The event is put on by Akron Sports Car Club.  One hell of a group of guys. 

Here are some pics of me and my old man laying it out on the autocross.  Seeing these pictures makes me think of things that need done to this truck to make it stick better.  I am thinking more aggressive springs and stronger shocks. The front seems to be collapsing pretty heavy in the front.  Bigger sway bars may be in the future as well.

I know LMC sells beefier sway bars, but what do you all think? I am thinking about getting custom ones that are even larger maybe even a redesign for mounting may be my best bet?  I am thinking mount directly to the lower control arms instead of the strut bars.

Neil

Attachments

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
replace all the crossmembers with more solid ones , maybe 2 inch square 3/8th wall tube . use quality heaver sway bars front and rear so lmc ???  IDK  maybe try sway bar from a d350 ? 1 ton front springs shortened if necessary , or motor home chassis springs . 

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Well here is yesterday's run. Finally got the GoPro Camera figured out. Don't mind the first turn came in hard.

I think my traction issues on right handers with the truck wheel hoping and shifter shaking like hell is from my front driver side coil spring collapsing. The chassis is pulling up on the rear to compensate. When I ran a few weeks ago when it was wet it did not do this. Left handers I felt no such hopping. I purchased the severe duty coils to put in but just didn't have time to put them in yet.

I also have to figure out a brake cooling issue. After 4 runs my brakes calipers were starting to drag and the hubs were starting to throw some grease. I am assuming from the metal expansion. My second run was my fastest, but my 3rd and 4th runs were slower I am thinking as a result of the drag from the brakes. I think I am going to try to duct cooling from my bottom headlights to each front brake caliper to try to help this out.

I also have a big brake upgrade in mind but got to source some parts to try it out.

Neil

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
Damn Neil that sounds bad ass! your definitely working that bad boy !
Thanks man its a blast.

Bad part is Bob, she is slow.... comparatively slow I guess. Guy had full slick 315's all around on a 2000's Z06 and ran a 64 second pass fastest of the day. My best was 89.05. I need more power, but better brakes first! Also comparing another truck to this one. A 60s F100 was running 84's, but with a big block 390 Ford, front crown vic swap and rear 8.8 out of a mustang.

Neil

·
Registered
70 Posts
Awesome video, looked fun. Don’t worry about that BB Ford. You’re in a real mans truck.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Awesome video, looked fun. Don’t worry about that BB Ford. You’re in a real mans truck.
Yeah man, need to work on those "Chicago Boxes" those I went super slow through. I think I lost a lot of time there. I actually down shifted on run 3 to 2nd gear on those. Seemed to help but my shifts were slow down and up. I almost completely biffed up shifting back to third on the back straight, plus brake drag was starting further slowing me down. I think stiffer springs up front will help my acceleration and cornering tremendously.

Neil

61 - 77 of 77 Posts