Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ok a few pics,

Was able to finally get the 9.75 detroit trutrac put in last week.  Easy install except for the cheap spacers from Ford that came in the unit.  Dad and I broke the first into 3 pieces and cracked the others tapping them in.  A week later had new shim kit and was able to easily install and use the daughters yellow paint  ;D  to check backspacing.  Slapped it back together and drove around the yard briefly to make sure all was working good. 

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thank you guys for the help on the cutouts too!  Forgot to get a picture of those, but was able to come up with a solution.  Ended up taking the original 3 inch caps and using the torches to cut out holes for butterfly of cutout to clear.  Bolted the cutouts to flange then put caps over the cutout to seal the hole.  Worked flawlessly and no leaks.  Had to retighten them after a couple of heat cycles. 

Also got to put on the tail panel on the tailgate. 

Heading to junkyard tomorrow to try to find bottom piece of trim to put on tailgate and some mirrors.  I am missing that piece since the truck was hit, evidence by the dent, prior to when I bought it. 

Next will be the upper control arms if I can get a kit from WSD4less.com.  Still don't have the drivers side in stock yet. 

Attachments

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
That's a pretty Tru-Trac there.  ;D
Those things work great.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I wanted to ask what you have for exhaust? I like those square exits out front of the tires!
Can’t seem to find em.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Small update,

Went "Shopping" last weekend.  Was able to land a set of mirrors, full tailgate trim, and also find a front swaybar for $75.  Here are a few pics, I am a little worried about the mounts for the sway bar bushings they are in rough shape. Looks like I could fab some if I play around with it enough, if I have too.  Upper control arms also came in this week.  So I am installing them first so everything is out of the way.  Here are some pics of the sway bar and brakets before and after.  Still need to paint the sway bar.

Neil

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Quick update!

Upper control arms are in!  Dad did all that work,  Shout out to wsd4less.com or worldwide suspension.  Arms shipped in 2 days from Florida to Ohio with no shipping cost.  Arms were complete and bolted right in. 

Helped the father in law pressure wash paint off all day instead of working on the truck last week.  Had to make an emergency run to summit too for new shocks, one would not rebound at all.  I think the shocks were original to the truck.  Painted the springs gunmetal to match trim and just painted shocks black to match other components.  Should have done them green but didn't want to wait to bust out all of the equipment to paint like the pros. 

I also attached a pic of the exhaust cutout fix that we come up with by using the original cap as a flange to seal up the leaks.  Plus my old man got to take my girls out for a spin in the jeep.  They loved it. 

Neil

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Man it has been since April that I have posted here.  Been to busy busting my balls on this thing to actually take some pics and post some stuff.  She is efficiently, no not efficiently (I am getting 6-8 mpgs).  She is effectively running and will do burnouts and circles like a champ.  Runs great thus far with no problems.  Trim has been a pain in the **s.  Getting it to stick and stay there, but finally got it.

Was able to attend the Summit Racing Equipments all mopar fest last Sunday and met a nice guy by the name of Ryan who brought an 80's gran fury.  Very clean car.  Also sitting next to me was an 84 Dodge D250 that was the grandson of the original owner.  Always garage kept, few paint chips but it was clean as clean can get from Northeast Ohio.  Other than driving through a Monsoon for about 30 minutes and fixing the windshield wipers I had clocked wrong in route trip went great.

Another show today and I hoping for another set of black marks if my wife will let me, lol.  Video maybe too? Here are a couple pics... One with the trim done and the other from the all mopar show. 

Neil

Attachments

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
neil4224 said:
Another show today and I hoping for another set of black marks if my wife will let me, lol. Video maybe too? Here are a couple pics... One with the trim done and the other from the all mopar show.

Neil
Cool!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Went to the free Super Summit Event at Summit Motorsports park in Norwalk today. Two hour ride in the truck with the racing buckets is not the nicest on the body, especially with the stiff suspension. Got to do two runs on the autocross course. Was getting packed or I would have went again.

Can't beat free events though. Never been to the super summit they had Bigfoot 5 there and one of their newest monster trucks there as well. Free dragstrip runs (over and hour wait) free autocross and free off road rock crawling course.

Here is a short (shaky) video of my 2nd run with the exhaust cutouts open. Dad did the video, we need to work on his video recording skills. Run was slow as ****, but it sure was fun. Man I see why these guys with 100 k cars really get into these autocross events. They are truly a blast even with only a minute to minute and 1/2 course. Enjoy... ;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Great to see a homebuilt truck hanging it out at the autocross. Good job!!

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
FULLSIZE said:
Great to see a homebuilt truck hanging it out at the autocross. Good job!!
Yes indeed.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Finally got a video of some tire smoke,

Not to bad for a small block, starting to get the third gear chirp shift down.... ;D

Enjoy,

Neil

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yes. This triggers all the right things in me  ;D

What you might want to do for an event like this:
- Get the tire pressure right (there's tons of info on this on the webs)
- get yourself mounted in the truck properly (seats and belts go a LONG way)
- practice driving (get some used cones and practice cornering, quick turns, waving, etc. do this as often as possible)

This truck should be able to go a lot quicker than that without fancy chassis mods.
It may need a bit weight in the back though.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Seen these?

My favorite:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Header wrap done, at least on the passenger side...., pain in the arse putting it on while on the truck.  About 3 hours worth of work.  Best advice I can give is when you are starting have someone to help you, there is so much extra you need the extra hands to keep it straight. 

Neil

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nice build and vids.  Love the burnout!
How did the homebrew frame boxing work out in autocross? 

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
No way really to tell without a comparison on the track, but how I know it definitely made the chassis way more rigid is when you jack it up.  As I compared them based on my previous observations before welding vs. after it made a huge difference in how the truck acts when you jack it up.  Basically you jack up any part of one side between the front and rear wheels and the entire side comes up, lifting both wheels at the same time.  My buddy was pretty shocked when he drove it last week how stiff it felt based on it being a truck.  Sway bars probably realy help this too though.  He has had both a 2000's ford and now a 99 chevy and was pretty shocked in how controlled it felt versus those. 

Neil

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Got some slight work done, mainly sourcing parts to make her legal on the strip and autocross. Waiting on some funds to buy all the nickel and dime items that adds up real quickly.  What a nightmare converting lines to fit -8an to 3/8 to 5/16". Doing all this with the least amount of rubber hose is the trick.

Neil

41 - 60 of 77 Posts