Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
After the bondo dust was settled started using the cut off wheel to get rid off the rot.  Here are some pics.  While I was at it got rid of the fuel door on the driver side since the fuel cell was in the back anyway. 

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Time to weld, borrowed a wire feed off my uncle in law to do the bed sides.  Ordered two wheel arches one for the passenger side and one for the driver side of the bed.  Got them from LMC Truck.  Fitment was actually spot on, but I agree these are not exactly factory, just as I have read on here about fenders and such.  The bow in the wheel arch right above the wheel is not as pronounced or deep, or whatever you want to call it compared to the original.  Also the flange is much larger in width where it curves up under the bed.  I would say at least a half inch larger compared to the factory.

When I cut the old bedsides out I also removed the cancer from the inner bed wheel arches.  This left a decent cut in them on the drivers side at least.  I am hoping this will allow all the dirt and leaves to fall down and out of the bed instead of holding moisture with them getting stuck up in there. 

Well the initial welding went fine, then I got in a hurry.  That is the absolute worst thing to do on sheet metal.  Learned that the hard way. Driver side warped pretty decently towards the back corner.  This was thank god the only spot that warped considerably. You listen to the guys on here and on the old youtube and you try to be slow and patient. But you just think aw put a good bead here and it will be fine.  Next thing you know pop.  Here are some picks when I first started welding, before the warpage happened.  Didn't take much more up till I nearly got done with the body work because I was so disgusted.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Very cool! Love the color!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well another update,

Here is the truck night before painting really wish I would have had time to complete the body work a little better, but looked good enough to me after paint. As I said in my previous post the bedsides, especially the driver side warped to know end.  I puttied and sanded for days, but still didn't come out the best.  Happy with the front fenders and hood.  After I got the paint done and started looking closer this thing looks like it had been in a few too many hailstorms.  I found so many more dents in the doors it wasn't even funny.  Happy with the result though, it is good enough for me and it gives me an excuse to fix it later in life if I continue to upgrade it as funding and time allow.  Didn't think the green turned out too bad for only ever painting one other vehicle in my life.  These truck panels never seemed to end! I have learned a lot about painting that is for sure.  Needed to crank up the pressure and also make sure the gun was as clean as clean could be after each coat.  If you think it is clean, it ain't. 

Attachments

·
Registered
52,907 Posts
looks good from what I see.

Yep warpage stinks. Been there and done that.  :-\

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
the ambittion to DO the work as best as possiable , and know its a learning thing , is applauded . THE ONLY way TO learn is DOING  it , with a little advice from experienced fellas added in .  keep up the good work . 

know that ounce you hit bare metal whilst feathering plastic , stop sanding or you'll undercut the plastic . so either the metal needs more straightening or it needs wider plastic covering ....

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Lots of odds and ends done.  Been doing the little stuff, and trying to get a windshield installed.  My dad finally got the brake lights to work as well.  Been chasing that gremlin for a while. 

Great story for you,

Before I got any lights hooked up.  Put on the grille and bumpers and took her down the road, no plates, no lights, no windshield, etc.  Grabbing gears going good, thought I better look behind me before I turned around.  And of course sheriff is on my rear bumper! Pulled in turnaround road and he just keeps on going.  Must have been impressed or he knew me.  Lets just say I went a little faster getting back home!  ;D

More pics should be coming soon, weather has been crap and haven't been able to take any outside while at my dad's. 

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well guys here is the update, a great day of Weather this past Sunday to tighten up some odds and ends.  Went to put the emergency brakes on and low and behold because I am using all new backing plates, I must remove the axles to put them on  :mad:.  Because of this scraped the idea and went to doing some other things. Figured I do emergency brakes and trutrac all at the same time.  Dad and I fought the speedometer cable on the back of the dash cluster.  Had to remove from the tranny and spin the cable to slide on effectively.  Removed the front tires and rear sway bar end links and painted the end-links and front hubs cast iron (looks nearly identical to the dark silver I got from summit, mimics gunmetal).  Also did a front end adjustment on the tie rod ends to make the front wheels appear straight.  I have to replace both upper a-arms before I pay for a pro alignment.  Now I have to also take the steering wheel back off and straighten it.  Domino effect went into effect greatly today! Was able to pull it outside take some pictures and pop it sideways in the gravel before putting it away.  With winter nearly here looks like won't be much more progress other than the odds and ends that remain.  I am now down to getting the big ticket items and need to save my money for them.  Big ticket items include: Trutrac, Exhaust Cutouts, Wheels and Tires, putting on bedliner, and buying a switch panel for linelock and exhaust cutouts. 

I also need to purchase some mirrors. 

Has anyone had any luck with LMC mirrors matching up with the factory holes to mount them? It says in their book that these are not factory replacements.  This has me a little hesitant when going to purchase. 

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Love the build! Similar to what I want to do. Except mines a long bed, and auto. Would love to convert it to a stick, but its hard finding parts around here to do that swap. Plus after swapping from tbi to carb, I really dont feel like doing any more conversions in this truck just yet.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Good point Jim, that was 4 days before the snow.  We had nearly 4 inches where I live in Ohio a week ago, weekend of 11/17.  Delays in getting pics posted. 

Got to take her out for a long spin yesterday and starter is about shot.  Shut it off mid ride to figure out what a noise was (speedometer cable unhooked) and had to push start it to get it back going.  Diagnosed when I came back that the starter was taking way to much juice.  Looking into getting a smaller one anyway!

Drove great except for the limited slip not working a known problem in the ferd community on the 9.75 rearend.  Going to be buying a trutrac when money allows, that is what everyone seems to be going to in my research.  Now only to save enough to buy one  :'(.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is a nice Build.

What a transformation from slant 6 auto to this. I especially like the front end.  Grill, bumper paint, and green core support.

Looks Great.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well with Winter starting to come to an end and tax refund season upon us took some liberties and bought some parts. Well that was my first mistake. The exhaust cutout y pipe I bought from summit was a true 2 1/4", well the flange on the manual cutout was 3". This screwed me as this past week I bought quick time performance 2 1/4 inch kit.

Electric Cutouts
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qtp-qtec45

Y Pipe from Summit
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-680135

Bad part was they bolted up, I wired them up and they work fine(voiding return). Turned on truck and they leak around the bolt holes because of the slots the bolts can slide in. I am going to try to put large washers on the bolt heads to cover the "slide" holes, will liberally apply some RTV and pray they seal up. Was reading some hotrod forums and they said pure RTV is the way to go when trying to seal exhaust stuff.

Anyone have any ideas on how to seal these holes?

Seems like I have no other leakage, just those dang slider bolt holes. Will keep you guys updated. Good news is at least they work and hid the switch where the cigarette lighter went. Here is a picture of the switch and the cutouts prior to installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Nice build here!
I was going to reply a while back and got sidetracked.
The problem with your speedo cable is one I still have... the clip broke off. It's just a hassle to get a good cable. So I "rednecked" the issue. I put a hose clamp as a stop on the cable where it just butts up to the firewall brace behind the gauge cluster.  Then adjusted it where it just holds it in place so the cable end stays in place on the speedometer.
This surprisingly works quite well.
One of these days I'll just fix the cable.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
headder flange gasket?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Gasket is just too big, hole is on the inside of pipe, still allows blowby through slider holes.  I may try another though on the outside to see if I could get it to work.  I have been running some ideas in my head.  Thanks for the thoughts dodge82273. 

Kurt I will try that RTV there around a washer to cover the hole, thanks for the recommendation.

I have also contacted Quicktime to see if I could just switch out the plate for a 3 inch, dimensions are all the same on the shaft motor etc. 

Thanks for the help guys!

Neil

·
Registered
13,132 Posts
IF you can find a nice A/P store , they ounce had a pegboard with exhaust gaskets of all shapes / sizes you could look thru , other wise doesn't the manufacturer suggest/offer a gasket for their product ?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
dodge82273 said:
IF you can find a nice A/P store , they ounce had a pegboard with exhaust gaskets of all shapes / sizes you could look thru , other wise doesn't the manufacturer suggest/offer a gasket for their product ?
You are so right about the pegboard, our old shop in my hometown had one, but it closed up about 3 years ago. :'( They could get stuff no one could, and even had most of it laying around.

The gasket that came with fits is just a bit to big I may have to order the next size smaller to see if it fits. Will keep you guys in the loop.

Neil

21 - 40 of 77 Posts