Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took it to muffler shop to run some duals on it. The guy had it all day and said it can't be done. I'm keeping the stock manifolds and just asked him to cut everything else off and run it down to a 45 degree bend in front of the tires on each side. Is there something special that has to be done to just run the pipes on outside of frame rail? When I looked under neath it looked like a couple bends and it would be pretty much a straight shot on either side of the trucks outside frame rails

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
901 Posts
Just curious... why the outside of the rails? I had a thought in my head once to create a LRE RC, but instead of stacks... side pipes. That would require going outside the rails too.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have a 78 W200. I wanted true duals off the stock manifolds coming out at 45 degrees behind the rear wheels.

First guy I took mine to said he could do it but I wouldnt want to pay for it and that I wouldnt like how it looked. He wanted to use 2 1/2” pipe which was probably too big for my truck anyway.

Transfer Case is tight to the frame and he said he would have to drop it below the frame rail and run it down the outside of the frame to get around the transfer case. Which sounds like what you want to do anyway. I dont see any reason why it wouldnt work unless something big changed between 78 and 85. The guy just gave me his “I dont want to do it price” which was fine by me because after talking to him, he wasnt going to be doing it anyway.

I ended up finding another guy who said sure Ill do it. He charged me $500 to put on true duals 2 1/4” diameter with two magnaflow mufflers. Said it was tight but he made it work and did a damn fine job I think. He did say when he was done with it that he would never do duals on another dodge truck for $500 again so take that for what its worth.

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have a 78 W200. I wanted true duals off the stock manifolds coming out at 45 degrees behind the rear wheels.

First guy I took mine to said he could do it but I wouldnt want to pay for it and that I wouldnt like how it looked. He wanted to use 2 1/2” pipe which was probably too big for my truck anyway.

Transfer Case is tight to the frame and he said he would have to drop it below the frame rail and run it down the outside of the frame to get around the transfer case. Which sounds like what you want to do anyway. I dont see any reason why it wouldnt work unless something big changed between 78 and 85. The guy just gave me his “I dont want to do it price” which was fine by me because after talking to him, he wasnt going to be doing it anyway.

I ended up finding another guy who said sure Ill do it. He charged me $500 to put on true duals 2 1/4” diameter with two magnaflow mufflers. Said it was tight but he made it work and did a damn fine job I think. He did say when he was done with it that he would never do duals on another dodge truck for $500 again so take that for what its worth.
I have a 77 2WD RC with true dual exhaust tucked up into the frames but I don't have a T-Case. They also exit out both sides behind the rear wheels between the leafs and shock then below the leaf out the back behind the tires. The dual mufflers are tucked in beside the drive line on both sides.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have true duals on my 89 with stock manifolds.

some low quality pics on how it looks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gas tank is plastic is why I don't want to run inside frame rails on driver side

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yeah I don't rock climb in the truck or anything so I'm not worried about pinch pipe from running under frame rail. It has plenty of clearance. This guy is pretty by the book I guess. Looked like he was gonna smack me for even suggesting cutting the cats out completely

·
Registered
901 Posts
Gas tank is plastic is why I don't want to run inside frame rails on driver side

Ah, that's right. I have a plastic tank but it's behind the rear axle. I don't have your problem. My F350 has true dual exhaust but both run down the passenger side and both exit the pass side behind the dual wheels. You might think about that except maybe split them apart behind the tank and run out both sides (?)

·
Registered
901 Posts
With that said, I have gotten close to my tank with no issues...

·
Registered
247 Posts
couldn’t you just wrap that some of the exhaust or tank in heat shielding also? depending if you feel like doing that

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
I have seen plenty of Dodges done with the drivers side going past the transfer, then tucking under the tail of the transfer, then both going side by side, together from there back.

Here is one pic I found.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yeah I don't rock climb in the truck or anything so I'm not worried about pinch pipe from running under frame rail. It has plenty of clearance. This guy is pretty by the book I guess. Looked like he was gonna smack me for even suggesting cutting the cats out completely

Yeah first guy I went to did too but mine being a 3/4 ton I guess was emission exempt. He said he had to go by whether or not the dash said “unleaded fuel only”. Second guy didnt give a crap either way. No cats for me.

Heres some pics of mine. Not the best pics since they were taken without the truck on a lift. As said before, if my transfer case ever has to come out, Ill have to cut it but Ill cross that bridge when I get there.

Both pipes on mine go down the passenger side between the driveshaft and frame rail. First guy wanted to run both pipes on the passenger side of the transfer case. Second guy crossed the drivers side pipe over behind the transfer case below the output shaft.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just realized Superburban posted my pics already. Sorry for the doubled-up pics.

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,507 Posts
If a guy can't run duals on a 1/2 ton with the small transfer case, you probably don't want him working on your truck anyway. Duals outside the frame rail are annoying and typically either hang down so far they are ugly as sin or they get pinched by the front shackle. Duals can be run down the passenger side and then branch out over/past the axle. Rear spare makes it harder. In reality, "true duals" are idiotically pointless on a truck with a stock or mostly stock engine. If you have $10k in the engine, then you can worry about exhaust pulses and that sort of thing, but no one can tell the difference between a Y-pipe off the engine going to a single large diameter pipe and splitting back off after that. Anyone that tells you they can hear the difference is lying.

I personally don't like exhaust in front of the tires as it just causes the tires to degrade faster and if you blow the engine you are likely going to dump a bunch of oil on the tires as well. Dangerous for a drag car, maybe not so much for a truck with a stock engine, but still bad practice in my opinion.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have seen plenty of Dodges done with the drivers side going past the transfer, then tucking under the tail of the transfer, then both going side by side, together from there back.

Here is one pic I found.

Looks similar to my set up. Here in Delaware there’s slim pickins on muffler shops. You either go to a franchise and get half ass work or you know a guy. Luckily there’s ONE shop on the border of PA that does good work. Cost me 900 for true duals. I go to them because they did a good job at installing the cutouts on my challenger.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah I guess I'm just gonna try to find another shops. I got the feeling he just want only gonna do it if it was easy. The truck as it sits has the exhaust cut off behind 3rd cat under cab and smogs me out. That's why I wanted exhaust work. Trying to get rid of the cats because they're 35 years old and need replaced and I'm not saying I'm right for wanting to de cat it. But I missed the cut off year by 4 years to not have to have them. Truck isn't tbi anymore. It's got a 4 barrel carb on it and it runs rich as hell when it's cold out. And I know that's not doing my 35 year old cats any favors

1 - 17 of 17 Posts