Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1985 dodge ramcharger with a 318. It runs great until motor gets warm. The oil pressure drops and it has to cool off before can get it going again. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
more description of the problem ? does the motor spin over well/normal after it stalls ? when does the oil pressure drop and To what ( how low ) ? does it have the right amount and type/weight oil in it ?  any info you add can only help us help you ...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Doupe13 said:
I have a 1985 dodge ramcharger with a 318. It runs great until motor gets warm. The oil pressure drops and it has to cool off before can get it going again. Any ideas?
Does the oil pressure drop before or after it begins to stall? I don't remember if the '85 had a low oil pressure cut off switch. I know later ones did. If you try to restart it, what happens? How many miles on the engine? How is your oil pressure when running?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's full of oil and the correct weight. After it stalls it can be started backup but as soon as you give it gas it cuts out again. I have replaced the fuel pump and resistors on the firewall. Odometer says 27000 but I don't know if its 127000. Once motor cools it runs perfect until hot again

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
choke problem

·
Registered
65 Posts
dodge82273 said:
choke problem
Yep, choke is the first thing I would check. I like to hook a vacuum gauge to an engine to keep an eye on it. Finding a dash mount is getting hard as they are now boost/vacuum gauges. A healthy engine ought to pull 15-18 inches of vacuum at idle.

Now, if the vacuum drops before it dies, I'd look for a vacuum leak or maybe a plugged exhaust. An internally collapsed catalytic converter or muffler can make it stall or even a mouse nest. The little cheese thieves just love exhaust pipes.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Agreed, my '84 Ramcharger did the same thing right after I got it years ago.  Turned out to be a stuck choke thermostat.  The next time it doesn't want to run, pull the air cleaner and disconnect the choke thermostat linkage before starting it and see if that makes a difference.  Could be a bad thermostat or the choke pull-off, both are easy to test.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.