Dodge RamCharger Central banner

1985 ramcharger fuel problem

875 views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  hillbilly wagon 
#1 ·
Hello all I’ve come to the point where I need some help. The first sign was when It started starving for fuel and finally cutting  off I have spark and 1405 carb is new but I am gettin any gas to the carb from the pump. Replaced mechanical pump and still nothin. ( there is only one way for it to ride in there I turned over the engine so it would mount up flat)
After that I dropped the tank again. Pulled out sending unit and blew on it seemed fine.primary and return lines seem fine no leaks but the vent on the back of tank was a little lose .and hose that runs to the middle of the frame seems fine not sure if it is a vent but looks like it . Would anybody happen to have factory due diagram I’ve searched the net and can’t get a complete diagram . Also the stock fuel filter it has a inlet for the primary fuel and it has out for the hose to go to the fuel pump but the bottom third should be for vent ? Because the other hard line is the return that comes to the engine but it’s plugged into the bottom 3rd port of that filter

#4 ·
do you have air [compressor] stick a hose in the gas filler and pressurize it [ NO more than 10-15 psi or what ever the gas cap is rated for] with the hose unhooked from the fuel pump till gas pours out , then pressurize it again but only a little bit to fully prime the pump , then fire it up

Attachments

#5 ·
I’ll try it that way I blew air in the return and then tried in the primary line when I did it I had gas come out of either hose  but I here hissing on top of the tank when I did that.how can I test fuel pump to make sure it wasn’t defective

#11 ·
Not yet gunna try all that when I get home. Also the vent on the back of the tank goes to a tiny little pot on a cross member forward of the tank what does it do I see it on a diagram from online but no part info

#12 ·
Ok your plan worked awesome put another pump on and tighten up all hoses and she’s pumping away now my problem goes back to where I started from idle it barely is turning over but when I give it more throttle it runs good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.