Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Best bet would be a salvage parts truck.
Maybe could do a search for 5x7 headlight bezels as they are a very common size light for implements.

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
I don't think he wants the retaining ring but the plastic grille bezel with the turn signal made into it.

Currently the '81-'85 bezels are not reproduced so good used ones are about your only answer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had similar trouble with my 79. Headlight buckets and retainer rings were gone and PO held them in with zip ties and double stick tap. I think that was all he had in his tool box because the license plates were held on the same way with the rear one stuck onto the painted tailgate and front one fell off somewhere.

Anyway, took several months and trips to the local pick-a-part yard but found what I needed at the salvage yard.

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Negative. The '81-'85 grille is very different than the '86-'90 grille. Every part is different and none but the complete assembly will swap.

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The picture by Elwenil above shows the difference in the bezels. It's slight, but different nonetheless. Yes, I need the plastic ones with the built in plastic turn signal lens. I will try the salvage yards, but was really hoping to find some reproductions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The post by Elwenil has got me wondering if the complete grill and headlight bezel from the '86-'90 model will swap over and fit to the '85 model front end? If so, it greatly increases my chances when I go to the salvage yard.

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Yes, you can swap the complete grille but you will need the surround, the center grille, both bezels and the valance for it to look right.

Reactions: Lzed

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
I think that the headlamps are also off a slight amount, if I remember correctly.  You can either move them, trim the bezels a little or swap the core support along with everything else.  I think I am remembering that right and not just getting it confused with the '91-'93 grille, which will also swap, but the headlamps are off a bit more.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yes the headlamp buckets do NOT sit in exactly the same place on the radiator support , so when you install the 86 and newer park lamp assembly , its NOT quite right , adjustment will be required . Tip , the newer '92-3 rad supports use a plastic bucket / base mounted to the truck with 3 studs and could be centered in the park lamp by drilling the required holes in an older rad support ... I'm thinking .....

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You can use an 86-90 grille on a pre 86 truck it all fits and can use the factory surround, the headlights are just not centered in the bezels. I did this on my 85 and its not enough to bother me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 86-90 headlight bezels are readily available, so are the grilles, but the surround - eh not so much, when found, it's expensive, and generally already damaged, so I'm not so sure why I'd spend $500 on a damaged piece of aluminum, then follow up with an unknown amount of time trying to make it pretty again. On the other hand, the same goes with the bezels I already have. To be fair, there's a lot of ugly duckling marks on my truck as it sits, and I'm pretty sure I'll be prioritizing function and the interior over the decorative trim. I think I'll just pop the old misfit one I already have as best as I can until the day comes that I stumble across the one that's actually supposed to be on an '88, then do the swap. Looking at what they go for, I'd just as well make a trade - anyone else in misfit territory? Always willing to swap. Mine had a pretty visible ding by the center where it meets the hood, and the bezels are sun-worn and old.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
1985 D150 Royal SE 318
1 Posts
The 86-90 headlight bezels are readily available, so are the grilles, but the surround - eh not so much, when found, it's expensive, and generally already damaged, so I'm not so sure why I'd spend $500 on a damaged piece of aluminum, then follow up with an unknown amount of time trying to make it pretty again. On the other hand, the same goes with the bezels I already have. To be fair, there's a lot of ugly duckling marks on my truck as it sits, and I'm pretty sure I'll be prioritizing function and the interior over the decorative trim. I think I'll just pop the old misfit one I already have as best as I can until the day comes that I stumble across the one that's actually supposed to be on an '88, then do the swap. Looking at what they go for, I'd just as well make a trade - anyone else in misfit territory? Always willing to swap. Mine had a pretty visible ding by the center where it meets the hood, and the bezels are sun-worn and old. View attachment 621988

View attachment 621989
Very nice pickup, good evening this is Ray, If your interested in selling the whole front grill/surroundings and headlight bezels pm me at 479-925-5943 Or email me at [email protected]. I'm looking to slowly restore my 85 D150

1 - 20 of 23 Posts