Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago, I swapped for a pretty solid old truck. It's the perfect height for my creaking knees. I pulled the valve covers and plug wires and had some new plugs so I figured to swap the plugs while I was at it. The valve covers have leaked for quite a while but when the plugs were put in last time, they didn't put any oil or anti-sieze on the threads. 30 minutes per plug. I've had to use a cheater pipe to even get these puppies to budge. So far, I haven't dropped any debris in the engine. So far.

I'm doing about two plugs per day after work. I'm also soaking them with penetrant. I hadn't planned to run a compression test, but since I'll have all the plugs out, I might as well. I'm definitely going to run a thread chser down the plug holes before I put new plugs in.

A bit beat up, but not much rust. The previous owners weren't much on maintenance though. Because the cover gaskets leaked so much, the guy dumped 20-50 Walmart oil in the engine. When I changed the oil and filter, the filter weighed about 10 pounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. It's rather depressing not being able to get the plugs out any easier than I am. I just planned for a quick tune up, rear end swap and a few electrical glitches but this is really eating my lunch. Partly because of age and recovering from surgery. However, I think most of it is just poor installation. I was taught to put a thin film of oil or even anti-seize on the threads when installing.

I'm tempted to use an impact wrench. So far, I've crushed some porcelain but haven't dropped any into to the cylinders, yet.  ::)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wouldn't recommend chasing the threads unless they are messed up.  Try to thread the new ones in first, if they don't go easy the consider chasing them, you will most likely put metal shavings down the cylinder doing so though.  Plugs seal on the outside of the threads so they shouldn't rust in.  They were probably overtightened.  I don't use antiseaze and haven't had a problem.  An impact on the way out won't hurt anything go for it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
username408 said:
I wouldn't recommend chasing the threads unless they are messed up. Try to thread the new ones in first, if they don't go easy the consider chasing them, you will most likely put metal shavings down the cylinder doing so though. Plugs seal on the outside of the threads so they shouldn't rust in. They were probably overtightened. I don't use antiseaze and haven't had a problem. An impact on the way out won't hurt anything go for it.
So far, I've gotten 7 of them out. The #8 plug is still stuck in there. I'm trying to avoid an impact wrench, but will if I have to. I let the plugs sit for a couple of days with a foaming penetrant made by WD-40 sit on them. I was surprised at how easy a couple came out. #8 though, I used an extension so I could really honk on the ratchet and cheater pipe. My abdomen is still recovering from surgery but my arms are okay. I thought it was moving but I twisted the extension. So much for Snap-On tools. Soak it some more and try again tomorrow.

I've chased plug holes repeatedly over the years. I make sure to slather heavy grease on the threads to catch any rust or other particles. 50+ years and no problems yet. I'm also fogging the open cylinders so the humidity doesn't cause flash rusting inside.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
been a really wet year ...... be glad you don't have a magnum engine , I had to use a smith's wrench to remove rotted in plugs from 1 of them , and I gradually worked my way UP to that desperation  .. stuff from chasein threads may cause loss of a day or 2 in the life of the motor .. more fellas ( "pro's with air ratchets?)don't clean dirt from around plugs BEFORE removin them , and drop tons of "stuff" down the hole ...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dodge82273 said:
been a really wet year ...... be glad you don't have a magnum engine , I had to use a smith's wrench to remove rotted in plugs from 1 of them , and I gradually worked my way UP to that desperation .. stuff from chasein threads may cause loss of a day or 2 in the life of the motor .. more fellas ( "pro's with air ratchets?)don't clean dirt from around plugs BEFORE removin them , and drop tons of "stuff" down the hole ...
First thing I do is use air to blow crap out of the nook and crannies on an engine. Then hit it with a shop vac. I finally got the last plug out. I had to use the impact wrench. I was careful to hold it straight and run the hammer pressure down. I still broke the outer porcelain. Nothing got in the engine though. Cleaned the threads and a little oil and the new plugs went right in. there's always one that just doesn't want to thread in right but they all went right in. I pulled the drivers side valve cover and began to wish I'd been filming the process. Make a video on how NOT to work on an engine. All sorts of silicone sealant but the whole gasket was wet with oil on the bottom.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up another rear end for my Ramcharger. Corporate 8 1/4 and even with the 2.9 gears like mine. Anybody know what the oil capacity is on these? I'm going to add the oil while it's out and I'm cleaning it. I have back issues and don't like to lay on my back to add the oil. Not a big problem, I just can't seem to find a listing anywhere in any of my old books.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
about 4 1/2 pints , I'd set the pinion level and check it tho...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dodge82273 said:
about 4 1/2 pints , I'd set the pinion level and check it tho...
I just want to get close before I put it in the truck. The engine will get another oil change and I'll do a full service at that time. that includes topping the differential. I'm doing all the brakes and such before it goes in.

G

·
  I would recommend a good spritz of PB Blaster in that socket with the stuck plug.. let it sit overnight then give it a try the next day if still stuck spritz it again, let her sit again overnight while tackling  other stuff during the day.. 

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EDDIEK said:
I would recommend a good spritz of PB Blaster in that socket with the stuck plug.. let it sit overnight then give it a try the next day if still stuck spritz it again, let her sit again overnight while tackling other stuff during the day..
I let the plugs soak and kept spraying them every now and then for a week. All of them came out except for #8. I chased the threads and cleaned them and the new plugs threaded nearly all the way in by hand. New plugs, cap, rotor, wires and when I fired it up, it ran like a brand new car. Once I get all the deferred maintenance caught up and get the electrical system fixed, it looks to be a pretty good driver.

G

·
Sorry for the delay re response.. Really glad no# 8 plug came loose...  I had few other items come up..  I will be getting back on to my 85 RC.  You will find that the RC is really easy to work on, compared to the sensor, computer dependent trucks of today..
P.S. I read somewhere, that a little anti seize lube on the plug threads is often done, I will be pulling and checking my plugs and will apply the anti seize..

I have been wanting to swap out the bench back seat, took a while to survey what was out there in a local salvage yard...
Not wanting to bore you I posted the below in a new thread... re "A 3rd Row Suburban 1500LT seat for a stock RC rear bench" under the projects tab...

P.S. You will find there are a lot of people on this site who will kindly take the time to offer opinions and suggestions which I have found to have saved me much time, head aches and of course needless expense..
Regards..  Have fun with your RC..  ED

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EDDIEK said:
Sorry for the delay re response.. Really glad no# 8 plug came loose... I had few other items come up.. I will be getting back on to my 85 RC. You will find that the RC is really easy to work on, compared to the sensor, computer dependent trucks of today..
P.S. I read somewhere, that a little anti seize lube on the plug threads is often done, I will be pulling and checking my plugs and will apply the anti seize..

I have been wanting to swap out the bench back seat, took a while to survey what was out there in a local salvage yard...
Not wanting to bore you I posted the below in a new thread... re "A 3rd Row Suburban 1500LT seat for a stock RC rear bench" under the projects tab...

P.S. You will find there are a lot of people on this site who will kindly take the time to offer opinions and suggestions which I have found to have saved me much time, head aches and of course needless expense..
Regards.. Have fun with your RC.. ED
I'm well aware of the thought Chrysler put into the design of these trucks. I fell in love with them when I was driving a '70 D100 and the '73 models came out. This Ramcharger is my fifth or sixth version of these. I had an '84 that was just shy of 400,000 when I finally had to junk it. The tin worms got to it.

Alas, my little buddy reminded me of a promise I made when she was 10 about when she gets married. She's 26 now and getting married so I may have to sell it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.