Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1984 W150 and it has a cranking issue. When I first got it a couple months ago, it cranked just fine. Then I noticed that it would crank for a few to several seconds (usually long enough for it to eventually start), but then quit cranking. I could turn the key to the off position, and turn it back to start and it would crank again. Now, it cranks very briefly before I hear and feel a click through the key and it quits cranking. I turn it off and crank it again...brief crank then quits. The click through the key seems to be interrupting voltage to the starter. Any ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've figured it out. It appears that the ignition switch has been replaced and whoever did it didn't get the actuator rod properly back in place. When the key is turned, the rod pulls back as it should, but the switch end hooks just long enough to bump the starter then it pops out. I held it in place with my hand and turned the key with my other hand and it started right up. Should be an easy fix.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.