Dodge RamCharger Central banner

1982 Jeep J10 Honcho

39K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  fozzy 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I know it's a Mopar site. I'm a Full Size Jeep guy who just happens to love those Ramchargers and Traildusters. I have been scouting around for either in good shape. Below is a link to a pic of my Honcho in stock condition at the time of purchase..

After my first Mod...Lift and 35s.

See less See more
#4 ·
Wow...it's been awhile since I visited this site. I have since made several mods to my J10. I rebuilt and swapped in J20 axles - D60 rear with Detroit Locker and disk brake conversion. D44HD front with TruTrac LSD...Both with 4.10s.
I also went retro with the 60s style of grill. I also did a bunch of other mods...But, to many to list.
Still have my eye out for a decent 77 or 78 RC or TD.
Here are some recent pics.

#5 ·
the rhino chaser kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i tried to pick up the grill and light set up from a local junkyard, the dude wanted $300 JUST for the grill...

#7 ·
You sir own my dream truck.and i totally dig the crap outta the 'Kaiser Gladiator' grill you put on.whats cool about the FSJ
s is all ya gotta do is remove the grill and the old Kaiser style grill is still there ,just minus the grill and headlites and blinkers or plates that go where the blinkers were.

#8 ·
Thanks Guys........
I'm seriously researching doing a Cummins 4BT or 4BTA conversion in the J10.
There have been a few 4BT conversions done on FSJs. Granted, the HP numbers are not that great. But, the low end torque will work just fine.
If I needed speed, I'd buy a Mustang.

#9 ·
i seriously never tought AMC engines could actually make HP numbers... when i was very little i thought an engine like my dads J10 HAD to be from a Mack truck or something...

even when the floods took our Jeeps, my dads Cherokee Chief had a Mack truck bulldog on the hood... i dug a tunnel to try to get it out, but no dice

#10 ·
Honchoman said:
i seriously never tought AMC engines could actually make HP numbers... when i was very little i thought an engine like my dads J10 HAD to be from a Mack truck or something...

even when the floods took our Jeeps, my dads Cherokee Chief had a Mack truck bulldog on the hood... i dug a tunnel to try to get it out, but no dice
Hey now the AMC V8 especially the 343,360,390 and 401 can be made to be totally evil.My buddies 74 Gremlin has a 401 built by Herman Lewis racing engines and its cranking 800+ hp and the car runs low 9's all motor in the q mile.My own 74 Gremlin has a pretty stout 360 cranking about 400+ hp and I'm in the high 11's all motor in the q mile. I hope you go AMC 401 instead of a cummins J10Mike.

#11 ·
GreasedGremlin360 said:
Hey now the AMC V8 especially the 343,360,390 and 401 can be made to be totally evil.My buddies 74 Gremlin has a 401 built by Herman Lewis racing engines and its cranking 800+ hp and the car runs low 9's all motor in the q mile.My own 74 Gremlin has a pretty stout 360 cranking about 400+ hp and I'm in the high 11's all motor in the q mile. I hope you go AMC 401 instead of a cummins J10Mike.
no doubt, i just didnt realize it then. i had a 360 in my J10 that would chirp ALL 4 tires with ease.
i just got me a running 401... one of my dreams has come true. Now, to find another '74 Matador coupe......... or a Gremlin. yours sounds freakin sweet! hey man, just because im on a Dodge website doesnt mean im not an AMC man

#12 ·
GreasedGremlin360 said:
I had a 401 on the stand in the garage. It needed a rebuild. But, I sold that last October to another FSJ guy. Those 401s are getting few and far between now.
The J10 currently has a 360. It does run good. But, it's getting tired.
The 4BT is a good candidate for the swap. But, I still have a ton of research to do.

#13 ·
i saw a video on YouTube of a HUMVEE with a 4bt tied bumper-to-bumper with a brand new Power Stroke...

it broke the power stroke...

ive only had the pleasure of dealing with 360s, but now i desperatley want to find a 4 speed for the 401 and a early 70s Hornet 2door sedan
------------------------------------------------------------------
the 401 (and the Jeep it is currently sitting in) belonged to a guy that was supposed to teach me mechanics. in the old Mexican style, my dad is supposed to find me a job or trade. it is usually a close friend of the father, like in my case. i was supposed to apprentice with him until i was knowlegeable enough to work on my own. but since this isnt Mexico and i went to school, i never apprenticed much. i did in the summers, and with the guy, his name was don Pablo, learned everything i know about cars. he was a WW2 vet, and one hell of a guy. his Jeep was a '75 Waggy with a 401 and Quadra-Trac. be bought it in 1976 after someone rolled it down a mountain, then used the body of a '71 Waggy and just switched EVERYTHING from the '75. don Pablo died in 2000 of cancer. his Jeep sat in his yard for years after his wife remarried. then it was gone. until a few months ago, my dad scored a Jeep for $100 and sold it for $200 right away without even seeing it. just my luck, it was don Pablos Jeep! they guy who my dad sold it to wouldnt sell it back to us. but he was staying on our land in our trailer! eventually he ran up the electricity bill to where he couldnt pay it, and had to give us something. but it wasnt before he pretty much stripped the Jeep except for the driveline and body

#14 ·
Heres my Gremlin "360" AMC pwd 8) She's ran a best of 11.80 all motor @ 112 mph in the 1/4 mile. Its a fun hot rod,imagine it with a TRANSFER case though LOL. Imagine my motor in your jeep J10Mike {devil}

#16 ·
GreasedGremlin360 said:
Heres my Gremlin "360" AMC pwd 8) She's ran a best of 11.80 all motor @ 112 mph in the 1/4 mile. Its a fun hot rod,imagine it with a TRANSFER case though LOL. Imagine my motor in your jeep J10Mike {devil}

Holy shet...That's one bad ass Gremlin for sure. A buddy of mine had a built 304 Gremlin years ago that his son totaled out. There's an AMC engine builder guy real close to me that's racing a 401 Gremlin.
Ya...I would love to have that 360 in my J10.

#17 ·
That is hands down the most wicked Gremlin i have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
there used to be a lime green Gremlin with a roots-type supercharger in my dads buddys junkyard... it wasnt wrecked though... my dad thought i was crazy when i asked for it

i gotta get me a Gremlin

#18 ·
While i hope I'm not ruining this thread,if you thought My Gremlin was bad ass,heres a pic of my buddies 74 Gremlin with a 700+ hp AMC 401 {devil} This thing runs low 9's all motor in the 1/4 mile. at 14 to one comp and uncapped headers this thing is DEAFening when it fires up!

#20 ·
Sadly, I had to sell the J10. My better half said NO to having two money pits. But, I got my asking price and it sold within 36 hours of listing it.
However, I was able to buy this to feed my addiction to old and unique vehicles.

#21 ·
I dig R/C's as well but you...you....sold yer ultra rare stepside Honcho FSJ to get that R/C {bawl} How much if yu don't mind me asking.

#22 ·
Asking price was $5000 with winch. $4500 without winch. He wanted the winch too.
I didn't want to sell it. Yet, I didn't want to tear up a perfectly good specimen of a ultra rare J10 stepside truck. Naturally, I only figured this out after building the J10 for major offroad adventure. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

#23 ·
we have had a couple honcho's but not as good as yours, had a 25k mile one that a young kid primered gray, you could see the decals under the primer.   my son has acouple of trucks now including a 1983 J20 360/727 and dana 60 rear, 44 front, all options, including a/c and cruise, wish the gas tank was larger because it never passed a gas station that it didn't like.  Oh yeah, more interior room would be nice also. Doug

#24 ·
I have a 82 Jeep Honcho as well & its completely stock its got the stock roll bar & everything. its also a stepside which is suppose to make it even more rare but my whole family are Chevy people so I was wondering if anyone knew what the value was & how rare it is. I heard they only made like 800 or so. but again i really don't know. Please fill me in!!! THANKS!!!

#25 ·
Chevygurl said:
I have a 82 Jeep Honcho as well & its completely stock its got the stock roll bar & everything. its also a stepside which is suppose to make it even more rare but my whole family are Chevy people so I was wondering if anyone knew what the value was & how rare it is. I heard they only made like 800 or so. but again i really don't know. Please fill me in!!! THANKS!!!
Check your PM.

#26 ·
MAN!  Your rc is sweet.  I would have bought that j10 from you.  That thing was sweet too.  Dont ever see any of them up here in NY.  I have seen 2 in my lifetime.  both were plow trucks.  and both had no boxes on them and were piles of junk.  My uncle did restore a j20 when I was a kid.  It was sweet.  but he used it as a plow truck for his business.  I saw it a few years ago and it was hammered, rotten, and was headin for the junkyard.  Its tough to get anything good in the in the rust belt!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.