UPDATE: replaced lift gate struts, twice, first set went out a week after I got them, replaced all radiator and heater hoses, removed the smog pump and charcoal canister, fixed some wiring on the engine for alternator and emission related stuff, replaced missing left window crank, lubed all the latches and hinges and window regulators, replaced battery and made a hold down bracket for it, got the door locks keyed to the key I have for the ignition, replaced the temp gauge and probe, replaced carburetor and air cleaner, replaced all the brake hoses and master cylinder, blead brakes and got them working, got all the lights working, checked the lubes in the diffs and transfer case, installed an electric fuel pump and replaced hoses from tank to lines.
Still have lots to do. It quit going into park at the trans, linkage is ok. I think the parking pawl rod came loose inside the trans, trans cooler lines leaking, right seal latch to flip it forward is broken, HVAC does not work at all, radio does not work, needs belts, I found 2 roof vents and snatched them up. I have new seals coming from steel rubber that I think will work, steering is still like the caster is not set right, need to work on getting the gauges working, need to replace all the u joints, the dash is a bit loose at the windshield but can't access the bolts until I can remove the w/s since they are under the rubber.
I'm sure more stuff will pop up the more I drive it since it has been setting awhile. I'm surprised I have not developed any more leaks than the trans cooler lines yet.
Once I get it running fairly reliably I would like to strip it down and get it painted, put a 4" or 5" lift on it and probly go to some 35" tires, swap out the gears to some lower gears, make some heavy off road type bumpers for it and who knows what all else.
I replaced the radiator with the larger 21" x 26" 3 row copper one. I got it from advance for $216 plus tax. It is no longer running hot. I got the trans cooler hoses replaced and no longer leaking.
I removed the gauge cluster and replaced all the bulbs on it. I ohmed out all the circuits and all of them ohmed out. Still not sure why none of the gauges are working but will look into that deeper after I figure out what I'm gonna do with the dash harness. It is melted at the ignition switch and bulkhead connectors and has been rewired incorrectly. I'm looking for a used harness that I can go through on the bench and repair to my liking and then replace mine with it, then fix mine for future use.
I've driven it about 400 miles so far and all seems fine for it's age.
I pulled a vacuum on the a/c system Thur and it held so I charged it up. It wanted to work but is short cycling the compressor like there is a blockage. I need to flush it out and replace the exp valve and dryer. I think that will fix it. The blower motor not working was due to the plug at the resistor was melted. fixed that and got the heater and vacuum controls working.
Sent Jungle a pm about parts to lift it a little and upgrade the hangers and spring eye bushings/bolts to the grease-able ones.
Had it down in the river a couple times and the 4-wheel drive seems to work int. Hubs lock in, transfer case shifts to all positions. No unusual noises or anything.
Been thinking about painting it like the macho power wagons were. The red & black and have decal made that says Ram Charger on it instead of Power Wagon. Way in the future thinking now.
RamchargerCentral.Com is a Dodge truck community built by a vast number of experienced owners. Whatever you're thinking about doing from routine maintenance to full-on restoration, odds are somebody around here already has. Originally focused on the Ram Charger / Trail Duster, our members own, drive and wrench on Mopars from the 40s to the current day. It's not what you buy, it's what you build.