Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am putting this RC back together.I had no motor or anything in it when I got it.But I need to put the emissions back on.My Haynes Manual is not showing much for that.
So did the the little 318 have a cat and a air pump?Its not a california model.Thanks

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I don't think the RC from 79 would have had a converter since trucks didn't get them right away; but even without that, It would have had plenty. I take it it needs to pass an emissions inspection as well as sniff test.?

·
5,141 Posts
my 79 had a converter.

Some books say it didn't though. The guy who did my exhaust said it was supposed to have one on it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
79 needs a converter. my 79 has (about to be had) an air pump. if no inspection, skip the air pump, only used on cold start up to burn any un burned fuel before it gets to the cat. put a cat on it. make sure she runs good, lean out the carb, retard the timing alot, make sure your EGR works (if they test for NOx), and on a very low fuel tank add lots of iysoprople gas line anti freeze/
-stew-

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will I called a dealer They dont have much on this anymore.But they could tell me that it did have the converter for the 318.They wernt to sure on the pump thought.So I am going to have to do some more calling on it.The 1979 is going to be alot easer to redo.I just wished that my 1985 Dodge truck would that easy.Its missing every thing and I have no clue to what where and how on the parts.Go to the parts store and they just look at you like your a nut.

·
7,995 Posts
Assuming that you have to pass emissions tests..have you called the emissions station or Emissions Tech Dept to find out what they are looking for on the trucks? Sometimes you'll find out that you wont need as many parts as you think.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Here in CT the law is 25 year old and older the truck dosn't need emissions inspections any more (well, if they ever get the emissions program going again). So my 78PW and my 2 79RCs are exempt. But, both have the emissions crud on them I think. But I seem to remember that the Factory Service manual said the smog stuff and the cat were optional, some trucks didn't get that stuff.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The original emissions equipment was determinded by the GVW rating in 1979. Light duty trucks probably had the converters. Heavy duty 3/4 ton models did not have converters. Perhaps Dodge built some heavy duty half tons which did not have converters either.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hell, for that matter tell them 3/4 tons didn't have converters back then.. They're doing good to know what it is in the first place.. Convince them it's a 3/4T.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts