Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as u can see from the pic i took through one of the holes in the cowl...
its rusted out bad and im getting the dreaded leaks into the cab (which already rotted the floorpans)
whats the best technique to sealing her up ?? Cut that hump out the way??

·
Registered
962 Posts
it depends on what kinda fix ur lookin for if u want something to last "forever" and a good job done then u are most likely gonna have to weld in new metal and seam seal it up or fiberglass it. but i just want something to fill it in and not leak and just do it quick and painless id suggest either duct tape it up and tar the crap out of it or just use fiberglass sheets and marglass over it and spray rocker gaurd on it or something of that nature

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i should cut that "hump" thats blocking my way?  re weld it on after??

theres no way im duct taping this at all.. im trying to not do this again after i replace the floors..

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
I would make relief cuts in the "hump" as you call it. Pull it open enough to get in there with a die grinder or wire wheel, clean up the bad area, cut a piece of steel and weld it in, seal it with windshield butal, pain it, put the "hump" back in place and weld that grind smooth and paint done.  ;D

·
Registered
962 Posts
{cool} {agree}

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
mopar65pa said:
I would make relief cuts in the "hump" as you call it. Pull it open enough to get in there with a die grinder or wire wheel, clean up the bad area, cut a piece of steel and weld it in, seal it with windshield butal, pain it, put the "hump" back in place and weld that grind smooth and paint done. ;D
i agree.. it already has some seams in it you can pop apart.. then just weld them back down {yes}

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks ~!! finally got time to do this...

·
Registered
52,716 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
If your willing to go that far with it, since you already opened it up.. I would sandblast it and spray it with a rust inhibitor and than primer and paint it.. I am sure almost all RC's have this same rust problem, but I've never seen anybody remove the panel like you have done.. Now that's dedication GOOD Luck and keep sending pics...  ;D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
would those cheap sandblasters do??  from harbor freight??  other wise i have to just dremel / wire brush it maybe???    really hard to get in there

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
DeeAreSevenNine said:
would those cheap sandblasters do?? from harbor freight??
Yes but make sure you get filtered sand just for blasting. Otherwise the big chunks will clog it. :-\

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
mopar65pa said:
Yes but make sure you get filtered sand just for blasting. Otherwise the big chunks will clog it. :-\
x2

and get a small screen to filter the filtered sand... even when i sandblast at the sign shop i filter the sand because big chunks still seep through

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes a cheap sandblaster would work, Towing ti to a Major sandblaster would be better,,, But wire brushing and dremmel tooling wouldn't be worth the labor....Getting things sandblasted isn't as expensive as some might perceive!!!

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
moparman101 said:
Yes a cheap sandblaster would work, Towing ti to a Major sandblaster would be better,,, But wire brushing and dremmel tooling wouldn't be worth the labor....Getting things sandblasted isn't as expensive as some might perceive!!!
It cost me $100 for just a frame. And that was the cheapest I could find :-\

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
people always complain about soundblasting.. but i do it all the time and i dont mind it.

and i only wear the head mask  :eek:

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
ddgeramcharger79 said:
people always complain about soundblasting.. but i do it all the time and i dont mind it.

and i only wear the head mask :eek:
I've done alot of sandblasting too, need to get a new blaster though. Sold my old one on Fleabay to buy a better one...well i spent the money on something else :p

I wore gloves, long sleeve shirt, safety googles/glasses and a respirator/mask when i was blasting. I'd be brushing sand out of my hair for days after i sand blasted something. No matter how long you stand in the shower it doesn't want to leave your hair :p

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
ChrisKD said:
I've done alot of sandblasting too, need to get a new blaster though. Sold my old one on Fleabay to buy a better one...well i spent the money on something else :p

I wore gloves, long sleeve shirt, safety googles/glasses and a respirator/mask when i was blasting. I'd be brushing sand out of my hair for days after i sand blasted something. No matter how long you stand in the shower it doesn't want to leave your hair :p
i forgot i also wear the respirator and ear muffs ;) under the mask

i like to keep my hair really short so its not too bad ;D

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts