Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I need to share with my support group here that I have yet another project.  It's a 1979 W150 360/727/NP203 that was sitting on CL for a while so I finally went to see it and ended up buying it because it was "too good of a deal to pass up".

I'm planning on turning it into my daily, keeping it the stock color for now (brown and rust are basically in the same color group, right?)

I'm gonna post some pics of what I've done but the first thing I did was replace the 2bbl carb that wouldn't idle.  I put the intake and (almost) new Holley 4bbl from my 1980 on it.  I figure I'll put the 2bbl intake and get a cheapo carb for the 1980 since it's the red-headed step child in the family. 

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So prepping it for the DD duties and after the carb install and fixing the valve cover gaskets I decided to address the wicked pull to the left when braking. 

Rotors were good so I just did calipers, pads, and flex brake line. 

Started bleeding the passenger side and had no fluid coming out the valve.  Took the flex line off the hard line and no fluid there either (Pic1). 

Working back, I disconnected the hard line from the brake line splitter and had PLENTY of fluid (Pic2).  Disconnected the hard line and found it dented in two places (Pic3).  I love running new brake lines! (NOT)

As is par for the course on these older trucks, what should take an hour takes two, ad nauseum. 

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also noticed that it had the "mists the inside of the windshield with antifreeze" option installed. 

It leaked antifreeze right onto the passenger floor mat as well.  Good news is that this truck had a system for dealing with it...the hole in the floorboard worked perfectly for keeping it from pooling on the carpet (Pic1).  Pulled the heater core, but decided not to keep the antifreeze-soaked leaves from 62 different trees from the last four decades. (Pic2)

I had a Q in the help section about heater core swaps since I couldn't source one - ended up taking it to Denver to a radiator shop but haven't gotten it back yet.

Once again,  the two bolts circled in red were neatly tucked behind the defrost vent tubes so one hour job becomes two (and two, four, etc.).  (Pic3)

Also, went to the parts store but no replacement vent hoses like I'd seen there in the past.  Any ideas?  Dryer vent hose?  (Pic4)

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Kurt - found it on Amazon.  Did some other shopping for this - hedman headers, ministarter, hitch, and several little items. 

I also got the wheel adapters in today - put those on as well.  I took the wheels/tires off the 1992 cab/1985 RC frame project and put them on here.  These may be a temp fix if I do a axle upgrade.  I added a tee to the heater hose so I can drive this if I need to...waiting for my registration and then it can get on the road!

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leaning more and more towards upgrading the axles.  Supposed to pick up a D60 or 70 on TUE (guy doesn't know which one it is)...which makes me want to put these on the front of this one and that D60/70 in the rear.  Just to be sure, knuckle-out parts will take a D44 FT to 8 lug lockouts, right? 

Attachments

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
I've been schooled , and can confidently now say,  YES .  ;D

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crap, another one followed me home today.  1978, basically paid scrap value (I had to drive 1-1/2 hours to get it, though).  Awesome to have a nice grill.  Could do w/o the birdbath hood, but it's iconic so I guess I'll live with it. 

Supposed to pick up heater core tomorrow for the 1979.  If I would have known that I was getting this one then I would've just bastardized this one (it's an A/C one, though, even though the motor has no A/C compressor or brackets, etc.).  I like the cab because it has the dash vents, as well as the "macho" seats.

I'm going to have to look at the vin, though, as well as spend some time tearing into it.  The truck has a D44 front (no driveshaft), as well as a tcase, but no tcase shifter (the carpet covers the hole if there is one).  Strange. 

If I decide to keep it instead of part it out I'll start a new thread for it. 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
userunknown said:
I think I need to share with my support group here that I have yet another project. It's a 1979 W150 360/727/NP203 that was sitting on CL for a while so I finally went to see it and ended up buying it because it was "too good of a deal to pass up".
Yeah, that kinda thing happens.

I have this twisted image on the generic AA type support group in my head. Hi, my name is ___, I own 70s Dodges. The twist being that it's not a recovery group. The 12 steps are all about dragging it home and getting it back on 4 wheels.

As for defroster duct, NAPA used to see it by the foot. Old number was bk8155008. Current number on the website is TWD MEI8521 for a 9 ft roll.

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
userunknown said:
Crap, another one followed me home today. 1978, basically paid scrap value (I had to drive 1-1/2 hours to get it, though). Awesome to have a nice grill. Could do w/o the birdbath hood, but it's iconic so I guess I'll live with it.

Supposed to pick up heater core tomorrow for the 1979. If I would have known that I was getting this one then I would've just bastardized this one (it's an A/C one, though, even though the motor has no A/C compressor or brackets, etc.). I like the cab because it has the dash vents, as well as the "macho" seats.

I'm going to have to look at the vin, though, as well as spend some time tearing into it. The truck has a D44 front (no driveshaft), as well as a tcase, but no tcase shifter (the carpet covers the hole if there is one). Strange.

If I decide to keep it instead of part it out I'll start a new thread for it.
I still don't feel an intervention coming on.

On first look, was thinking bed and grille donor as both pretty wasted on the other one. Curious what the high backs in the brown one are but I love my macho seats. The a/c dash moves a lot more air and I often run the heater in the vent position so would be tempted to grab that too.

Don't ya just hate it when yer parts truck is almost as nice as the one ya bought it to feed ??

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RWG75 said:
Don't ya just hate it when yer parts truck is almost as nice as the one ya bought it to feed ??
Amen to that - if the parts one ran it WOULD be nicer! The DD has some other vehicle seats - dunno what they are and don't care right now. Just trying to get it into running shape. Going to get it up to speed, then turn my focus on this one I think. It's got problems, too, but it's got more of the "keeper" qualities I want.

My first Dodge was the 1977 in my sig - a 400/727/np203 that I "should have never got rid of". Got the bug back then and it's never been cured!

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Would ya believe I just did the same with my 20 yr old lawn tractor?

Bought it new, used it hard, kept it maintained well. Hydrostatic transaxle broke. Got lucky and found an identical one on craigs in basket case condition for less money than a used hydro would cost me at a lawn mower salvage yard. Yes, those things exist. I did really well ignoring the flat tires, dead alternator and how crappy the engine ran when I was buying it for the rear. Paid the guy about what he had in it for new blades, belts, battery and honestly intended to toss those "spares" on the shelf.

Yes, I started looking at the charging system and the ignition while unloading it. Fixed my original axle then spent about what I paid for the "donor" to turn in to a "backup". See ya at the meeting on tuesday.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll bring the coffee...😁

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah the front tank has a hole in it - running off the back tank for now.  If I build out the 78 I'll need the tank, if I don't I'll need the tank for this one.  Long story short is we have no bananas today.  Thanks for looking our for us though!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was taking it out for its "maiden voyage" to go fuel up.  Driving up the long driveway, got to the dirt road, then thought "do I have enough fuel to make it to the station 7 miles away?"  Turned around on the dirt road and it stalled but started right up.  Started going down the driveway again and it died.  Coasted down to park it near the barn then hopped in my wife's Ford (her Dad bought one new truck in his lifetime, and when he passed away she wanted to keep it) and got fuel.  Put fuel in the rear tank (it only took 7.5 gallons) so I knew it wasn't out of fuel.  Poured fuel in the carb and it would catch but not run.  Fuel filter has no standing fuel in it so I'm thinking fuel pump.  So much for starting to be a DD this week!  I won't be able to get to it soon, unfortunately. 

In 1984 I bought my first Dodge (the 1977 Plymouth Trailduster 400 dual gas/propane setup) while at school in TX.  I drove it down the long driveway to gpa's house in OK.  He saw me coming so met me at his barn.  He told me, "Shawn, I need to tell you 3 things about trucks.  Ford's are reliable.  Chevy's are cheap to fix.  Dodge's are neither. "  Wise man...

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
fenrir said:
He told me, "Shawn, I need to tell you 3 things about trucks. Ford's are reliable. Chevy's are cheap to fix. Dodge's are neither. " Wise man...
A wise man told me... "All vehicles can be unreliable." ;D

I have a friend who thinks Toyoda's are the key to the universe.
He ragged on me one day a while back because our Challenger had a recall... a minor one at that.
I told him to be careful what you say. Sure enough in the next few days Toyoda had a huge recall on a brake failure that was causing deaths.
Every vehicle can have issues.
Even Ford trucks.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed, Kurt.  Grandpa summarized what at the time seemed very true for me (know how much I paid for the hubs to be pressed off of that old 1977?).  Today, however, almost all vehicles are made very reliably.  I just like the old stuff because (typically) I can piddle with it and get it running.  This just reminds me of the price I have to pay to drive a 40 yr old vehicle. 

I bought a new 2001 Lexus RX300 - 2 weeks into owning I was making a right hand turn and the transmission crapped out.  Toyota/Lexus made it right, but any vehicle on any given day, right?

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,130 Posts
Your brown '79 has a '77/'78 grille on it. Just an observation

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.