Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and I have some very basic questions to ask about the above mentioned 1979 Dodge Ramcharger.  The 360 engine needs some major work, along with the NP435 transmission and NP203 transfer case.  With that said, here is where things start to get interesting. 

I have a 318 engine from a 1992 Dodge Ramcharger and a 1991 GM NV4500 transmission (gasoline engine) with the NP241C transfer case (passenger side drop) that came out of a modified Chevrolet V1500 (formerly K5) Blazer.  My questions are, and please try not to laugh, but will a GM NV4500, with the shaft changed, bolt up to a 318 engine?  Also, will the NV4500 and NP241C fit into a 1979 Dodge Ramcharger?  I hate to lose the transmission and transfer case, especially since the GM NV4500 has a 6.35 low gear versus a 5.61 for the Dodge NV4500, along with the 318 engine that has 230 hp and 285 ft/lb torque. 

I already know that this will be a headache, so should I buy Excedrin Maximum Strength or have the VA refill my migraine medication? 

Any insight from experienced forum members would greatly appreciated. 

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Yes, the NV4500 should bolt up once the bellhousing and input shaft is changed to the Dodge V8 version.  The transmission and NP241 should work out fine in a Ramcharger, but you will obviously have to make a few adjustments for the hydraulic clutch, shifter, mount, driveshafts and transfer case linkage.  You will also lose the full time 4WD, though the front axle won't care either way.  Overall, getting the parts to mate up won't be too bad, though finding the correct bellhousing might be a bit of a search.  The main work will be driveshafts, clutch and mounts, at least as far as just getting the transmission and transfer case together and installed.  The Magnum engine will be either a real easy deal or the biggest pain in the ass of it all.  With a carb intake and electronic ignition, it's simple.  If you want to keep the MPFI, it's a lot of wiring and fuel system mods.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.