Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't looking but when it is hiding in your back yard for years and you don't even know about it, you have to check it out. This popped up locally for sale and as you may know, in Ohio rust kills everything. So I go to look it over. It's a 78 SE model with 440 auto. It's been sitting basically since about 2010. Runs but needs tuned up and adjusted. Seems to shift and transfer case shifts good. Interior is roached out, floor pans have surface rust but shouldn't need replaced. Pass rear fender has a couple bubbles and that's it on the truck. Paint is patina as expected. Needs a lot but good bones and not rusted out
Screenshot_20210623-124424_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210623-124444_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210623-124510_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210623-124456_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210623-124424_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20210623-124444_Facebook.jpg

·
Registered
238 Posts
Bones are there, good lookin 78.

·
Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
3,519 Posts
Wow, cool find! '78 is the last year for big blocks. Rare machine. Don't wreck it! Save it!

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's home and tucked away. It was nice to drive it on the trailer. It's really solid and I'm pretty excited
20210623_164904.jpg

·
Registered
238 Posts
glad u picked it up. cant wait to see whatcha got in store. I love 440s in these early RCs. 👍

·
Registered
501 Posts
What a find man, congrats! Ohio is definitely not kind to these old girls. But you found a survivor.

Neil

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The story is that it belonged to a smoke jumper in northern California. It was in California until around 2018 when it got trailed here. The plates from California are still on it and 2010 was the date on them. I'd love to know the history on this old girl.
Eric

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Few things I've found: spare tire carrier was removed but my buddy had one that he gave me, thanks Dan. Bumpers are both pretty jacked so I'll likely be replacing them both. Motor has mopar connection valve covers, eddy intake, headers. The headers are rusted and thin/leaking and my friend Dan came through with some bb manifolds, thanks again. Gonna need a complete fluids carb plugs etc overhaul. Floors have surface rust but look solid so they'll get cleaned up and treated/painted. Probably end up with 2-3" lift and up to 33s. Seats need attention, glove box lid is just starting to crack, door panels are wrong color. I'd like to change the mirrors. Windshield is cracked. I think I have a replacement grill since somebody cut this one to add lights. I'm sure more will make the list when I finally get to look it over a little closer.
Eric

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
nice find, looks like a couple of rough spots, but nothing a little TLC can't straighten out.

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There was also quite a bit of wiring added for "accessories" that we eliminated. Fortunately they didn't hack the stock harness too bad.

·
Registered
501 Posts
There was also quite a bit of wiring added for "accessories" that we eliminated. Fortunately they didn't hack the stock harness too bad.
Glad to see the family helping out man. That is the best.

At least the wiring in the 70's is pretty straightforward and everything is pretty easily traceable because of the individual connectors.

Neil

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Boys wanted an early start this morning so we took off the grill that was cut up and installed one we had laying around plus used a set of clear markers 20210626_091511.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
It's always nice to see the young ones are helping (y)

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Snagged oil/filter, plugs, wires, and enough antifreeze to drain and refill. It's sitting in the garage and not a drop on the floor so far...amazing.
Eric

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah teach em young!!!! My Mopar love came from my father

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oil change and found that the dip stick is not correct. It appears they shortened one. I added 7 quarts and marked the current dip stick to have a good reference to check against. Also changed the plugs and wires. I can't wait to get these headers off. I also ordered a new set of bushings for the sway bar but they sent the wrong ones of course so i just took it off for now.

I gotta get the carb figured out. It either needs a manual choke cable or there's a spring missing or something. Fires right up when somebody holds the choke.
Eric

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, Jim. It's pretty exciting to get another poptop. When I sold my last one to buy property and then it fell through I decided I would get another one when I got a chance. This is my first big block so I'll have a bit to learn but RCC is a good teacher.
Eric

1 - 20 of 24 Posts