Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inside my glove compartment I have no latch on my 1978 and nothing on the vinyl glove box where the push button should be.  Does anyone know where I could find these items and what they should look like.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
must be used. I've seen the push buttons on ebay. Some are asking quite a bit for them. Best bet is post ad in the classifieds here. So you need two parts...the push button that connects to the door/lid and the hook that connects to dash?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
the "catch" in the picture is kind of hard to make out but its just the shape of a capital "C" in block letters and the button is a just a push button. I believe all the push buttons have a key hole...mine does

Attachments

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Check around on the Lil Red Express sites. Those guys seem to have an inside track on such things.

Bucky

·
Registered
191 Posts
Trying to add to existing thread without starting a new one.

Has anyone tried to restore one of these? Mine is dry, cracked, and pushbutton area are damaged. Trouble is finding a replacement without spending an arm and a leg. They seem to be going for $200+ in great shape but still need cleaned and painted.

There is one that has been on my local CL for a while. No significant cracks but vinyl is seperating from metal lid on the back. Far less crappy than mine. Can this be pulled back and fiberglassed? Has anyone found a way to repair/restore?

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
flyfish said:
the "catch" in the picture is kind of hard to make out but its just the shape of a capital "C" in block letters and the button is a just a push button. I believe all the push buttons have a key hole...mine does
The key hole came standard with the higher packaged trim levels.
The base "Custom" of my year ('74) didn't have it.
The Adventure/ Adventure SE had them.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
rod1701 said:
Trying to add to existing thread without starting a new one.

Has anyone tried to restore one of these? Mine is dry, cracked, and pushbutton area are damaged. Trouble is finding a replacement without spending an arm and a leg. They seem to be going for $200+ in great shape but still need cleaned and painted.

There is one that has been on my local CL for a while. No significant cracks but vinyl is seperating from metal lid on the back. Far less crappy than mine. Can this be pulled back and fiberglassed? Has anyone found a way to repair/restore?
I had mine redone a Just Dashes a few back (10 years?). http://www.justdashes.com/
They did a fair job on it. They lost some of the detail of the grooves. And it was a little "thicker".
Not real happy with it... I'm picky. ;D Nobody has ever noticed the difference. It's way better than the dried out cracked thing it was before.
They use an up to date material that supposed to last forever.
If I was ever to do it again, I would ride them hard on keeping the detail of that groove sharper and control the thickness of the finished height.

·
Registered
191 Posts
SO a little touchy. I don't know how bad yours was and understand that it was 10 years ago. What was the cost?

I have a good used dash pad. Just need to clean it and spray with SEM Landau Black.

Trying to figure if I should drop $250 for a good used and paint to match dash pad or use the restoration service.

Mine is not great but better than alot that I have seen.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
The key hole came standard with the higher packaged trim levels.
The base "Custom" of my year ('74) didn't have it.
The Adventure/ Adventure SE had them.
cool. didn't know that and makes sense to me

rod1701 said:
SO a little touchy. I don't know how bad yours was and understand that it was 10 years ago. What was the cost?

I have a good used dash pad. Just need to clean it and spray with SEM Landau Black.

Trying to figure if I should drop $250 for a good used and paint to match dash pad or use the restoration service.

the way i see it is just personal preference...or rather tolerance. reminds me of a friend of mjne who had a really nice chess set carved from stone. his roommate accidentally knocked a piece on the floor and there was a small hairline crack that one would almost need a magnifying glass to see it. frustrated with his discovery, he picked up the chess set and walked to the door then flung it as hard as he could across the parking lot. chess pieces flying all over the place hitting cars and all. on the opposite end, some people work really hard for and enjoy a patina look on a vehicle. me...i'd leave it as is until i lucked up finding a deal on a better one or try to fix it myself.

one more thought...depending on the condition of the rest of your dash, a freshly redone cover might look "uneven" with the patina of your older components. a similar aged one maybe not so much.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
rod1701 said:

I got a spare one from the recycled yard a many years ago and sent that one off to Just Dashes.
They were baffled when I called them. They told me Dodge trucks had plastic dashes from that era. I had to "teach them" about the glove box door.
That one I sent them was pretty rough... splits and fading.
And thinking back it was more like 15+ years ago.
My original one that I still have, is in fine shape. Except for the hole that got poked in it when it flew open one day when I had a bucket full of tools on the floorboard. My "mud mixer" was sticking up and it lanced it real good.
I can't remember what it cost... it wouldn't make any difference anyways. I'm sure their prices have gone up
Give them a call. They're just down the street from you. ;D
They do nice work. Just razz them about keeping the style lines sharper!
Here's what mine looks like... https://ramchargercentral.com/mopar-trucks/my-'74-power-wagon-i-ordered-from-dodge-on-873/msg1814022/#msg1814022

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wow. Thanks. Didn't notice they were local when I looked earlier.

That was my thought on mismatching. Was thinking of trying to touch up a better one. I can find several used that are only cracked on the corner or starting to pull away from the metal on the inside. Was thinking buy okay one, try some minimal restoration, then spray it and new dash with a fresh coat of SEM Landau Black.

I had some luck in the past on s set of door panels. They got wet, the backer was coming apart. I cleaned, trimmed, and fiberglassed back together. Then stretched and glued vinyl down. Finally repainted all panels with SEM Parchment and it turned out pretty good.

Also, I agree, its a truck, I like the patina and I like for them to look like they have been used. None of this has to be perfect but good used, daily driver quality.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
rod1701 said:
Wow. Thanks. Didn't notice they were local when I looked earlier.

That was my thought on mismatching. Was thinking of trying to touch up a better one. I can find several used that are only cracked on the corner or starting to pull away from the metal on the inside. Was thinking buy okay one, try some minimal restoration, then spray it and new dash with a fresh coat of SEM Landau Black.

I had some luck in the past on s set of door panels. They got wet, the backer was coming apart. I cleaned, trimmed, and fiberglassed back together. Then stretched and glued vinyl down. Finally repainted all panels with SEM Parchment and it turned out pretty good.

Also, I agree, its a truck, I like the patina and I like for them to look like they have been used. None of this has to be perfect but good used, daily driver quality.
I crunched my drivers side door panel when I rolled my truck.
My '74 panels are fiberglass... they offered those for just a couple of years. And I like them the best.
Well I tried to find a replacement all over with no luck.
So I repaired the back side with fiberglass. On the front side I filled the cracks with some JB Weld using my drywall finishing skills. I got it pretty smooth. Then sprayed it with this stuff I use for pick up work... https://www.lowes.com/pd/homax-20-oz-white-orange-peel-wall-texture/3438828?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-pnt-_-google-_-lia-_-133-_-wallrepair-_-3438828-_-0&kpid&store_code=2528&k_clickID=go_625682584_34615018630_111134780950_pla-260326515081_c_9031420&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3KmukuCF4QIVFB-tBh2RaA2EEAQYAyABEgJLovD_BwE
It matches the stock textured grain look real close.
Painted it black and nobody can tell what happened. ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.