Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 20 of 341 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my new toy. It's rough, very rough, but it fits my purpose. I am building a dedicated Moab rock crawler. This baby has all the right parts, a good 440, 727 auto, NP203, 4" lift, 35" Xterrains, factory roll bar, removeable top, and not a single piece of sheet metal that I care about! LOL In a former life, this was a very nice truck. It has/had the SE package which, in this case, included the 440, auto, AC, cruise, and high trim interior. I've gutted the thrashed interior already, I will be getting rid of the cruise, and converting the AC compressor for on-board air. McGuyver has already helped me remove the whimpy 1/2 ton axles and throw in a nice set of 4.10 geared 3/4 ton axles (44/60). I've also removed the inner fenders, junked the doors, performed a u-bolt flip in the rear, cut the top in half, built a roll cage, mounted some Summit Racing seats, and bolted in a large aluminum tool box for junk stowage. I also have an RCC rear shackle flip to install when I get a chance.

Update - Nov. 2004: (way over due, but..)The RC recieved a new body last winter, with new red paint, large cut-out fenders, and a herculined interior. It also recieved 56" GM rear springs, 8" shackles, and and a shackle flip. Inside, there is the dash, cb, roll-cage, 2 seats, spare tire, a tool box, and nothing else. This summer it recieved a Dana 60 front axle, 1.5" front frame shackle bushing mounts, 6" shackles, custom spring mounts, 51" Dodge rear springs up front, a homemade front bumper for the winch, ORD crossover steering, and a 2x8" hydro-assist ram steering.

Update - May 2005: Didn't do much to the RC for EJS this year, just replaced the spun timing chain with a Mancini double roller and advanced the cam 4 degrees and built a new rear bumper.

Update - April 2006: This year, the Dana 60's recieved 5.38 gears, rear 35 spline Yukon axle shafts, and a rear full spool. I also swapped the 35" tires for some slightly used 38.5" SX's.

The top of Cliff Hanger, Easter Jeep Safari '05.

Potato Salad Hill, Moab, Oct. 2004

Moab, Golden Crack, April 2003

Moab, Dump Bump, September 2002

How it looked when I bought it...

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
Hey Trnet my 80 is just about as bad in some places . But I got a lowly 318 2bbl and no lift and wimpy 31x10.50 tires that are about bald . But I can't bitch much cuz it runs great . Well and no roll bar which I will put 1 in here soon someday .

bt83rc

PS: Good buy amigo I looked high and low for a 440 70's RC found 1 but didn't have 2 grand and it was in good shape . Oh well . :\'(

·
3,951 Posts
i take back my offer! lol mines in way better shape even tho
the rust monster has paid it a visit.
still hate to see a factory 440 truck in such disaray.

good luck

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
W300_dually said:
i take back my offer! lol mines in way better shape even tho
the rust monster has paid it a visit.
still hate to see a factory 440 truck in such disaray.

good luck
LOL, I said it was rusty. Actually, rust this bad is rather uncommon here. But according to papers I found in the glove box, it appears to have been sold brand new locally, and I might be the third owner.

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did mention that I only paid $500 right? LOL I knew if I didn't buy it, I'd kick myself later. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Desert Dog I said what I said because Overkill had a 90 R/C listed in his post and I have been in too many later model dashes to know that there is a 20 gauge wire running the amp gauge . Don't know anything about the pre-81 R/Cs ,so I can't say about them. Didn't mean any harm,just get carried away sometimes. Jim :-[ :-[ :-[

·
Registered
897 Posts
That is one great project truck!!! I would love to have that RC. Have fun building it!

Homer

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
I can see it already CAGE DODGE 2 of cource. you wouldn't want to upset the first one. Nice find there man. Cut out the sheet metal and you'ld never know it was rusty ;D

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I few more recent pics. I think I'm approaching the end of "Stage 1", it's mostly repaired, street legal, and capable of four wheeling. This also included the 3/4 ton axle swap.

On its "maiden voyage" on Mt. Logan.

I'm not sure what "Stage 2" will consist of yet. It may include the next string of mods including, a shackle flip, tube doors, roll cage, cut open fender, and bigger tires if I can find a good deal.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Looks like it is coming along. :) How hard was the 3/4 ton axle swap???

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
whlnwgn said:
Looks like it is coming along. :) How hard was the 3/4 ton axle swap???
They just bolted in. I had to shorten my rear driveshaft and get a new pinion yoke for the Dana 60 though. Since I had to buy new u-bolts anyways, I fabbed a rear u-bolt flip and shock mounts.

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
Those mud flaps are killing me Trent but I know u have to have them though god forbid u launch a rock on a rice burner .

bt83rc

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bt83rc said:
Those mud flaps are killing me Trent but I know u have to have them though god forbid u launch a rock on a rice burner .

bt83rc
Man, I don't want to even talk about mudflaps. I hate myself, every time I look at them. I guess if I didn't want it licensed, I could get rid of them. Oh well.................... what mud flaps? LOL ;D

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I know this sounds crazy.........But I think the mud flaps look kinda cool{cool}

·
Registered
537 Posts
Love the Hughes Engines camshafts. They make them for the .904" lifter diameter. Check them out for serious torque and HP in your ride. ;)

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've got almost the same truck as yours. Mines a 78 tho. Don't know how to post pics here yet. Mine is up on 44 Super Swampers, 3" body life w/ 6" suspension lift. No top not much inside. Off road mud/trail truck. Not street legal (trailer truck only) 440 w/ 727 modified Dana 44 Alto of new and different parts so far. Just bought a 79 short bed 4x4 360/727 tonight.Cheap***** it drives, but need abreak job and new fuel line, body pretty straight w two parts trucks both 2 wheel drive on is 3/4 ton...$500.00. I'd like to show pics of mine. I got it dead and now things are different..

·
Super Moderator
8,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the comments. Juha, it is kinda ugly, but not too bad. ;)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Loose that rear overhang! LOL. ;)
Don

1 - 20 of 341 Posts