Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
8,451 Posts
I believe they are all the same? The drag link on my '92 W250HD D60 is the same as the link on my '79 W150 D44.

· Administrator
31,939 Posts
No, the 77 and earlier had the gear box mounted at a different angle then the later ones.

M880, if you cannot locates one, I would consider swapping to the later style, it is a better bet that they will be available longer then the one you have. Looks like the interchange is 75 to 77, W100, W200, and 4wd ramchargers. I always thought it was 72 to 7, but Rock auto shows the 72 to 74 as different, not sure what is different, but they are out of them also, so who knows.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, the 77 and earlier had the gear box mounted at a different angle then the later ones.

M880, if you cannot locates one, I would consider swapping to the later style, it is a better bet that they will be available longer then the one you have. Looks like the interchange is 75 to 77, W100, W200, and 4wd ramchargers. I always thought it was 72 to 7, but Rock auto shows the 72 to 74 as different, not sure what is different, but they are out of them also, so who knows.
Thanks! Do I need to change the steering box on the 77?

· Administrator
31,939 Posts
Yes, you would need the gear box, the steering arm, and the drag link from a 78 to 93, 4wd truck (1,2 3/4, or 1 ton), or RC.

Reactions: 1977 M880

· Registered
32,120 Posts
Yes, you would need the gear box, the steering arm, and the drag link from a 78 to 93, 4wd truck (1,2 3/4, or 1 ton), or RC.

don't forget the mounting plate

also the 1978 to 1987 mounting plate is THINNER than the redesigned 1988 to 1993 plate which is THICKER [ as the thinner plate was prone to cracking ]

also around the same time they changed the power steering box fittings and hoses from old style FLARE fittings to new style O-RING fittings

Note / you might also need the steering shaft to the column

· Registered
3,017 Posts
FWIW 72-74 front suspension was different in that the spring u-bolts pointed down, not up.

Not sure how this affected what steering components where used.

Bucky

· Administrator
31,939 Posts
don't forget the mounting plate
Good catch, I was thinking about it, just forgot to type it all.

FWIW 72-74 front suspension was different in that the spring u-bolts pointed down, not up.

Not sure how this affected what steering components where used.

Bucky
I knew that, but always thought the steering and drag link was the same.

· Registered
1,594 Posts
Someone on here not long ago needed a drag link for the older style and had offroaddesign make them one…offroaddesign.com….I’m sure if you give them measurements they will make you an adjustable one.

· Registered
1,594 Posts

· Registered
2,962 Posts
It's easy to make your own adjustable drag link from generic off-road steering components.

If staying push/pull, I think the 77-older style is more rugged.

· Registered
1,370 Posts
Or stock Dodge parts. I 7sed 2wd 4000lb tie rods to make an adjustable link for my 77w300

I did use a van inner for the bend in it to alleviate a bind due to lift. But, a full 2wd pickup tie rod should work for stock height.

Look for 92 D250 with 4000lb and get inner, outer and sleeve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts