Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey RCC...I gained a bunch of traction on an old project lately and I wanted to share my project with the RCC community.

Back story on this truck is my Grandfather bought it new in 1977 at Carl Burger Dodge in San Diego, Ca. Its a 1977 D-150 Adventurer with a 360/727 truck. In 1994, he passed the truck down to me so I could have something to drive in high school. After years of abuse, I dissassembled Old Blue in 2008 to restore it. After life, kids, and many other projects, Old Blue was put on the back burner.

A few months ago, I was telling my wife I want to go back to the Zip Tie Drags for 2021. Last year I took my Super Bee and it was a blast. I was thinking about buying an old 70' Power Wagon I had found and roadtripping that. My wife reminded me of the 77' and how I should take that instead. Long story short, I set my sights on taking the 77' and have made some significant progress. Utimately the Zip Tie Drags were canceled because of COVID but a future roadtrip is in the works.

Up to now, I've completely restored the chassis and upgraded the engine to a 440. Everything is rebuilt or new. I'm currently working on painting the body. Paint and body work are all new to me but I've done a lot of research on refinish work. The cab was just finished this past weekend. Its not perfect but pretty good for my first attempt at spraying a vehicle. I'll be buttoning up the cab and related components this week with hopes of painting the doors next.

Mike

Attachments

Reactions: SuperBurban

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Early December 2020 is when I started back up. I'm trying to do it on piece at a time. Its way too overwhelming to try and paint the truck at once in my small garage. I typically do small mechanical work during the week once I get home from work. All of the big stuff, body work/paint is getting done on the weekends. I'm using 2 stage paint in the original color scheme. I've never painted a car before so all of this is a learning curve. Here is the progress up to this weekend with placing the cab back on the chassis.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Right on!
Looking brand new!
Glad to see you getting it going again!
Looking forward to see it running down the road.
Rick Ehrenberg at Mopar Action would be real happy to see the blacked out radiator core support.  ;D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good to see another northern Nevada guy on here with a seventies truck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mighty Quinn said:
Excellent...Good to know there are others in the area.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Mighty Quinn said:
My "uncle in law" has a Little Red Express and lives above the hill over looking Sparks. ;D
A true Dodge guy from way back.
My wife and I are planing a trip up there soon to go visit him.
Backroads all the way!

·
Registered
739 Posts
{popcorn} {popcorn} {popcorn}

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
moparmike23 said:
Excellent...Good to know there are others in the area.
What's your Super Bee like? Curious.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Great Looking Project!!!

Like the dodges in your sig line too.  I too am curious about the Bee. 

Looks like you are already having a blast. 

Neil

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
My "uncle in law" has a Little Red Express and lives above the hill over looking Sparks. ;D
Backroads all the way!
I've seen 2 LRE's in the area. Actually got a couple pics of one when I was out with the Bee.....

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had the bee for 22 years now. Originally a $800 piece of junk I dragged out of a field back in 98'. Took me 6 years to build it. It currently has a 440-6 with a 727. It was restored to stock appearing but recently I've started playing around with it and added a few mods for track driving. Hopefully the D150 will be my tow vehicle for the Bee.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
That is one sweet car. I like the color on the truck as well.

·
Registered
393 Posts
moparmike23 said:
I've had the bee for 22 years now. Originally a $800 piece of junk I dragged out of a field back in 98'. Took me 6 years to build it. It currently has a 440-6 with a 727. It was restored to stock appearing but recently I've started playing around with it and added a few mods for track driving. Hopefully the D150 will be my tow vehicle for the Bee.
She is a beaut!!!! Love the blue.....

Neil

·
Registered
126 Posts
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
Backroads all the way!
If you come up US 395 stop by and give me some advice on my trucks!

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
;D
moparmike23 said:
I've seen 2 LRE's in the area. Actually got a couple pics of one when I was out with the Bee.....
Yep.
That's my wife's uncle Bud!

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
moparmike23 said:
Nice!
Here's what I'm doing with a derelict '70 Charger... https://ramchargercentral.com/other-rides/my-daytona-clone-project/

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Mighty Quinn said:
If you come up US 395 stop by and give me some advice on my trucks!
Oh, I can do that from here... put a 440 in it. ;D
And since you already have done that... build it for power! ;)
Of all the highways I've driven in my lifetime... 395 is my favorite.
Any excuse to drive it... I'm ready.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts