Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad has owned a 1976 W200 since 1980. It has been sitting for years and I am planning a cross country adventure to pick it up.

I have no idea what it would take to get it safe and reliable to drive hundreds of miles.

I haven't seen it in decades but tons of good memories. Neither of us want to let it go.

Current status as best I remember from my Dad...

1976 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Full time 4WD
4 speed manual trans
318 Burned valve (reduced power but runs)
2bbl carb (leaks gas)
Extra 318 (fuel injected from a Ram Charger) in carport

Broken front leaf spring (driveable)
Weight missing on a rear brake drum
Probably dozens of smaller issues.

I'd like to get it from Arkansas to Montana and then decide if it should get a 360 and new suspension or just what direction to go.

Originally it was an Oregon truck and supposedly still no rust. Fingers crossed.

·
Administrator
62,294 Posts
The goal is not to break down. Finding a shop to help you is already hard, since a lot of places will not touch older vehicles.

Then you need to inventory your skillset for doing repairs, the time you have, funds, ect.

A couple of big red flags. Dropping a valve, will destroy the engine, not something you want to have happen 1000 miles from home. I can assure you, it is no fun at all.

Gas leaks can cause fires, another thing you do not want.

Springs, as long as it is not the top leaf, can be driven on. But it may still give some handling issues, especially with heavy breaking.

Tires? You do not say how long it has been sitting, but I would bet they are beyond the 5 to 7 year recommended age limit. Sitting is worse on tires, then being used. especially if it is very low on air.

I would consider beg, borrow, or rent a trailer.  Or look into the various shipping companies. Some of the prices I have heard, are close to what it would cost you to drive. especially if you have to add in tires, and other repairs, registration, insurance, and what not, first.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yepper ship that puppy , make it so it starts easy , and has brakes , and will move on its own , tires hold air for at least 2 weeks . try DAS dependable auto shipping , be careful on line , its a common name , the one I speak of has blue tractor trailers .. we had a 360 put a valve head tru a piston , it happens , then it's all junk ...  even IF it will NOT move steer / stop they will for an extra fee , ship it . They will bring it TO your home OR you can pick it up at their closest yard , often a large towing company's place .. some affiliation ..

·
Super Moderator
14,338 Posts
"been sitting for years"

that is bad. It will take weeks of work if you want it reliable to go across country. Lets start in the back:

Check rear lights

Tank will likely need to be dropped and cleaned out, checked for leaks, and that's if it isn't rusted through

Rear brakes - drums have a habit of sticking, the cylinders often leak and need rebuilding or replacing

check frame for rust, exhaust for holes

front - critter love to eat things and time decays rubber - inspect all rubber hoses, but more likely should be replaced for the trip, along with fan belts.

clean up battery cables - lugs at posts and ground location needs cleaning

carburetor will likely need a proper cleaning/rebuild

pull and inspect plugs for rust, replace if fouled, check cap, rotor, wires

Sounds like you are swapping engines. see if the extra engine rotates. If it's stuck that will require a separate discussion and weighing of options. if engine moves, change oil/filter, prime engine before trying to start

transmission - make sure it has fluid. Likely will want to replace that and filter - drop tranny pan. They make a deeper pan with a pickup extension to carry more fluid. I would look into that for sure.

Check radiator coolant specific gravity. Did it have antifreeze in it? I would pressure test the system for leaks after changing the hoses. look in the cab for leaking heater core during this time

overall inspection for rust, make sure all electrical items work, replace wiper blades, check all over for critter damage, etc

then road test for a few weeks locally to see what may have been overlooked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect, thanks fellas. It sounds like you're telling me what I already knew. Get this thing home then figure out what direction I'm going.

The extra engine being fuel injected complicates matters as I don't have all of the engine control modules to control the fuel injection . And I really want to see the larger V8 in this bad boy. So I'm fine with the idea of having 2 318 cores.

I'm skilled enough to do most of the work myself, I'm just not real familiar with Dodge and what options are around for this rig. I've been driving a Suburban the last 15 years.

This looks like a great forum and I'm anxious to read more and start learning. Online resources for the 1970s Dodge trucks seem slim.

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
ya shipping it sounds like the 'A' answer - have a good company load that dude on a semi trailer and have them drop it off at your place, and from what I remember basic shipping like that isn't too spendy either {cool}

·
Super Moderator
14,338 Posts
PDLarson said:
Perfect, thanks fellas. It sounds like you're telling me what I already knew. Get this thing home then figure out what direction I'm going.

The extra engine being fuel injected complicates matters as I don't have all of the engine control modules to control the fuel injection . And I really want to see the larger V8 in this bad boy. So I'm fine with the idea of having 2 318 cores.

I'm skilled enough to do most of the work myself, I'm just not real familiar with Dodge and what options are around for this rig. I've been driving a Suburban the last 15 years.

This looks like a great forum and I'm anxious to read more and start learning. Online resources for the 1970s Dodge trucks seem slim.
You can add a cam extension and fuel pump eccentric to the EFI engine and swap the intake manifold and the engine will be a direct replacement. That is if it is a 1988-1991/TBI engine (before they changed heads and EFI type in '92).

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yepper 2 types of fuel " injection "  first was a throttle body , 2 injectors in a thing where the carb is suppose to be, if its that type , just swap intakes use a carb ,your dizzy ,  plug / play same motor . If it has 8 injectors , yeah no manifold don't bolt on , heads drilled different ...    plug and play :)

·
Administrator
62,294 Posts
Yep, either do like Doc says, with the cam extension, or go to an electric fuel pump. Either one is easy.

·
Super Moderator
14,338 Posts
You will need wiper bushings too ;)

·
Super Moderator
14,338 Posts
PDLarson said:
Is that like blinker fluid or snipe hunting or is this for real? Wiper bushings?
No. Look at the windshield wipers - one is horizontal, one is up. That means the wiper transmission is disassembled, likely from a worn out plastic bushing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gotcha. I just didn't know if you were pulling my leg. I did notice in the photo they were messed up but like I said, I haven't seen her in person for decades and haven't worked on Dodge much at all so if this is a common thing, I'm simply unfamiliar. Thanks. I'm loving the great level of knowledge here so far.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would surely advise agin putting something that has been sitting on the road..it would not be a fun trip!..wonder why the grill is different from my 76?...Not sure whether I should congratulate you or offer my sympathy to your bank account!...I kid...good for you! Make room for at least another.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
That is the correct grille for a '74-'76 model.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I see that now...I was told it was a 76..the engine said 76..but the nomenclature plate says 77..lol never noticed till now. der...still learning myself..every day.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
As are we all.  {cool}

·
Registered
22,576 Posts
Tow vehicle and trailer is one of the only options here, PD, unless you plan on camping there for awhile.  ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.