Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my RC about a month ago. So I guess I will start the build thread now. Its a 1976 Ramcharger 4x4 440/727 with a 203, dana 44 front(8lug), dana 60 rear. sitting on 37's with a ? lift. Its has a full cage. PO painted it camoflague was originally dark green.

I bought it from Hesperia, CA. and the guy I bought it off of said it he bought it from Washington state a year earlier. But other than that I have no history on the vehicle. It was very roughly done the dash was hacked up, wiring a mess. Truck is Lean surging like crazy about 50MPH.

The plan is to swap the 76 front for a 91-93 canyon sport front grill/core-support/fenders/doors and paint it white. and do a possible Cummins swap in the future then drop the 440 in my 1957 D100 to replace my 360. I plan on putting a fiber glass Challenger R/T hood (I had one on my last 87 RC and loved it) Plan on naming it the "YETI" when its painted.

I will start from the beginning as Ive already done some things to it in the last month.
So Here is it from the day I bought it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the First thing I did was rip the dash apart. I built a new wiring harness for it as it was hacked up bad. The radio was always wired up so you have to remember to turn the power on/off (now fixed) Non of the gauges worked or the lights. pulled the gauge cluster out and saw the amp meter had melted most of the ribbon wire. so cut it out and soldered in wires to correct everything and threw in new bulbs.

Now all the lights work, most of the gauges work. also ripped all the insulation out from the fire-wall that was rotting and falling apart and flying all over the cab when you drive. I painted the dash and restored the gauge faces. fixed all the indication/ dummy lights.

Compare to above dash^

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sanded the back down and painted it, to clean it up a little and rewired/routed the taillight harness out of sight. Also taillights were non functional when i bought it (now working great)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since Im selling my CJ5 Jeep to fund this project Im stripping the Jeep of some parts. The velcro roll bar mounted Dome light And the Halo headlights I had on my jeep. Now installed on the RC with Amber bulbs and wired into the parking lights.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I Mounted my Two Jerry cans(one is fuel the other a hidden toolbox)/Can-brackets in the back with the full-size spare.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 1957 Dodge-100(my dailydriver) in the garage. the RC in the Driveway, My CJ5 JEEP on the curb (hopefully gone soon) and out of sight behind the jeep is the wife's HEMI Aspen.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im in Las Vegas.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Nice collection!  Love your project - thanks for the pictures and I will really enjoy watching you build this RC.  ;D {popcorn} {popcorn}

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, this was my first Ramcharger a 87 with a 360. I ended up parting it out, motor went into my 57 Dodge and a lot of the parts (hood included) went to a buddy's Ram. I miss that truck so much though, but I hated that the top never came off. So thats why I'm going with a first gen RC this time. but never cared for the look of the 70's grills (except 77/78 those aint too bad) I also wanted a 440 or cummins so now I got the right ingredients for this YETI monster.

My old 87 RC:

My Buddies truck my parts went too:

My 57 D100 with the 360 out of my 87:

My 77 Jeep:

Funny Thing is I restored my Jeep as a teenager, it was my first car. when I turned 15.5 I got my permit. Then my Dad saw how I drove. He said that I had to sell the Jeep because I drive too damn fast with that high center of gravity and short wheel base. though I thought it was odd, I agreed and he told me he would give me $2500 for the Jeep to go towards any vehicle I wanted. So I found the 87 Ramcharger on Ebay. He later sold the jeep for that same amount. fast forward MANY years later.
I got contacted by the owner of the Jeep at the time he wanted to sell it. Though at the time I had no money. So i notified my brother, and he snatched it up for around $4500. the owner at the time had done some things to it. My brother drove it into the ground (He does with all his vehicles) after the 3rd time he blew the manual transmission he parked it in my Dads driveway expecting him to fix it, since my brother had no mechanical knowledge. I told my Dad leave it or have it towed away, and he caters too much to him, let him be an adult and fix his own shit.
So after some months my brother contacted me and asked if i was interested in buying it with a blown trans for $4500 and he had another good trans and clutch. I said "HELL NO" and hung up. a week later he asked how much it would take? I said "$2500" what i sold it for. he then hung up one me…lol So after playing phone tag for weeks. He agreed to $2500 I bought my old Jeep back. had it towed and hour an a half to my house in PHX at the time. that night I had the new clutch and trans installed and driving it around.

Fast forward several years… And my itch for a Ramcharger has grown out of control. so after talking to the wife and agreeing to sell the Jeep A SECOND TIME for a Ramcharger, I got on craigslist and started my hunt. I was super picky It had to be a 74-80 with a 440 or Cummins. with Dana 60 axles and I wasn't going to spend more than $5K. I was willing to drive one state over from Las Vegas, when I saw this 76 RC. The PO was asking $2700. I offered $2K a deal was struck and I drove it home to NV from CA. truck did fine except I could do more than 50 up hill, It would start starving for fuel. which the PO did not disclose. I did state he had the carb rebuilt and installed a new electric fuel pump… So i think this was a persistent problem. I haven't looked too into it yet I'm trying to burn all the fuel off in the tank so I can drop it and start there. It has a clear fuel filter and it looks dark brown so Im thinking a pretty good indication of the tank.

I did a quick photoshop of how Im planning the truck to look like eventually…. I present the "YETI"

·
Registered
52,907 Posts
Nice!  {cool}

·
Registered
266 Posts
Really cool RC I like your plans for it in the future.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So thought you guys might get a kick out of this. I recreated a photo of me as a toddler in front of my Grandpas 78-360-RC,
beside my daughter in front of my 76-440-RC

·
Registered
52,907 Posts
That's cool!  {cool}

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok today I took the Hardtop off, took 3 grown men to do it and I jacked my back up pretty good. first time removing a RC top. ALOT HEAVIER THAN I THOUGHT! But now that its off I can enjoy the spring and summer air. Just hope my back forgives me.

·
Registered
52,907 Posts
{cool}

·
5,137 Posts
I like your cage.  I have plans to extend mine further back, and I like how you have yours done.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts