Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying a 76 w200 parts track to swap axles under my 81 w150.  I have Dana 44 front with manual hubs and 208 tcase and 9.25 rear end.  I would be swapping in the full time Dana 44 front and Dana 60 rear from the 76.  I know the axles will bolt right up but have some questions. I’m aware the 60 has a larger pumpkins this I would need a shorter driveshaft but I do have a 4 inch lift so should be fine there.  Will the front axle work the way it is with my tcase?  I read about doing the knuckle out swap to retain part time function but was curious for the time being if I could just slap the axles in and worry about the knuckle swap at a later time? Or is there any other way to go about it?  Thanks

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
you cant swap married and divorced rears , the divorced rears[fronts] have a lower pinion yoke , you bolt it in and like the say,in says " dick in the dirt" /// install the rearend and swap all the parts from the frontend onto your original frontend [ front outers and gears ]

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
'76 would be full time 4WD with a mated case.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you are saying I cannot use these axles or?  I’m not following what you are trying to describe

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
You can use those axles but you will be swapping to 8 lug as well as to the weaker wheel bearing setup used with the '75-'79 full time 4WD setup.  You will also lose the ability to unlock the front hubs as there is no provision for that with the full time front axle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok yes elwenil that makes more sense and if I decided to go forward with the swap I would eventually like to convert to manual hubs and the better wheel bearings. I was just curious if for the time being it could be driven with the full time front axles. As far as an issues with the part time transfer case

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
khintz21 said:
I was just curious if for the time being it could be driven with the full time front axles. As far as an issues with the part time transfer case
It would be essentially the same as if you were to drive around in your current set-up with the front hubs locked but the t-case in 2wd. The front drive shift would rotate, it would be driven by the front axle instead of the t-case.

Bucky

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
712edf said:
It would be essentially the same as if you were to drive around in your current set-up with the front hubs locked but the t-case in 2wd. The front drive shift would rotate, it would be driven by the front axle instead of the t-case.

Bucky
Exactly. Just might be lucky, and it has a D60 front axle.

Of course, swap the transmission & transfer over, and take advantage of the full time. The further north you live, the better it is. {cruise}

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.