Dodge RamCharger Central banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Until you see the ad with all the trim. LOL
You're right. The RC is far from perfect but looks good. I wouldn't pay that much though.

I sometimes wonder if you guys know what you got in your garages? How much your restored or not restored trucks are worth? They are true jewels!

@jonn6464 you're doing a great job, this is going to be a sweeeeet ride.

Reactions: jonn6464

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I've been wanting to clean up my 4 speed shifter, so I set aside a couple of hours today.

It wasn't too bad, but it did have enough grease and grime to be concerned about...

Wood Helmet Rim Auto part Metal

Wood Circuit component Fashion accessory Metal Jewellery

Human body Wood Baseball glove Nail Auto part

Working animal Wood Sculpture Art Artifact

After I got it disassembled, it soaked in de-greaser over night. Then some scrubbing with a steel brush, they cleaned up nicely...
Motor vehicle Blue Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface

Gave the parts a quick bath with some dish soap and dried them off...
Wood Sleeve Beige Grey Asphalt

I had to order new shims, so I wasn't able to put it back together today. So, apply some WD-40 and wrap the parts in plastic until it's time...
Liquid Automotive tire Fluid Tin Asphalt

Automotive tire Wood Fluid Rim Drain

Wood Sculpture Artifact Toy Asphalt

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Got the shims from Brewer's this week, so I was able to get the shifter put back together. Bolted it to the trans, now I need to clean up the shift rods and test it through each gear and set the throw length.
Wood Gas Engineering Machine Machine tool

Machine tool Gas Engineering Wood Nut

Reactions: JoeRudi15

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Also, I dove into replacing the body mount bushings. I've been avoiding this for 3 months now. I've never done it before, but it wasn't too bad. The farthest rear bushings (at the tailgate) gave me fits, but other than that it was okay. I had to grab a jack and lift the body up a bit more.

I took my time and pre-planned as much as I could think of. The only bummer is that the kit I bought came with an extra set of bushings that go at the wheel well, but it's missing a set that go under the floor board. I'll call the manufacturer on Monday.

The original bushings actually looked pretty good. No cracking or crumbling. But, they are old, so best to replace them.

I didn't get great "before and after" pics, but here's a few. This was another time when having a lift comes in very handy!

I had some old rigging blocks laying around, which turned out to be the perfect size...
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Plank

The blocks spanned the torque boxes perfectly. Kinda hard to see in this pic...
Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Tread Wheel

Old bushing out...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood

New bushing in...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bumper

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
So, the body bushing kit I bought was missing 2 bushings. I had to pull teeth with the manufacturer to get them to send me the missing pieces, which arrived on Tuesday. I was able to finish the bushing swap tonight.
Bumper Helmet Automotive exterior Gas Metal
Brown Helmet Wood Gas Automotive exterior

I did have one casualty though... the bolt that goes in the circled spot below has stripped threads.
So, now I'm on the search to try and find another one. I'll start another post with a WANTED ad.

White Product Circuit component Font Line

Cylinder Wood Composite material Metal Artifact
Household hardware Gas Cylinder Automotive tire Nickel

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I wanted to get at least one thing done today, but I didn't have the motivation to tackle anything too big.

So, I restored my gas pedal assembly. Very basic, but it did the trick.

Started with a spin in the bench top sandblaster...
Blue Automotive tire Road surface Wood Asphalt

Then a coat of primer...
Azure Chair Wood Road surface Asphalt

Finished with some paint...
Tree Sky Asphalt Road surface Bicycle handlebar

Figured I would do the battery tray at the same time
Road surface Bumper Automotive tire Grey Asphalt

·
Registered
709 Posts
I wish I had a sandblaster, or somewhere to even put one. Parts came out looking good

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I wish I had a sandblaster, or somewhere to even put one. Parts came out looking good
A benchtop blaster has a very small footprint. You may be able to re-arrange some things and fit it somewhere. It's nice to have, and it's a pretty small investment.

Reactions: Lzed

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Working on a custom dash gauge set up. Still rolling ideas around in my head, but I know I'll need a blank slate to start with.

So, I did a rough cut out with some .035" sheet metal, and fine tuned it from there.

Started with the bends and measured where the radial cuts would start...
Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Grille Gas

Gas stove Home appliance Wood Stove Kitchen appliance

I got the basic contour and ready to shape...
Bumper Rectangle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Flooring

Jumped on the belt sander and went nice and slow, checking against my template many times...
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Composite material
Automotive tire Wood Rectangle Chair Automotive design

I'm happy with the shape, now I'll start planning the gauge layout (I think it will be pretty close to stock) and I'll have to graft the new bezel onto the old one.
Good times!
Gas Bumper Window Rectangle Metal

Rectangle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Wood stain

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Working on a custom dash gauge set up. Still rolling ideas around in my head, but I know I'll need a blank slate to start with.

So, I did a rough cut out with some .035" sheet metal, and fine tuned it from there.

Started with the bends and measured where the radial cuts would start...
View attachment 626967

View attachment 626969

I got the basic contour and ready to shape...
View attachment 626968

Jumped on the belt sander and went nice and slow, checking against my template many times...
View attachment 626970 View attachment 626971

I'm happy with the shape, now I'll start planning the gauge layout (I think it will be pretty close to stock) and I'll have to graft the new bezel onto the old one.
Good times!
View attachment 626972

View attachment 626973
You seem to have a good start!
I plan on doing the same but removing the radio, centering equally sized odometer and tach in the center and then placing the small gauges on both sides.
Double din radio will be moved to the console with back up cam and bluetooth

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
3M has a lot of wood grain overlay stick on sheets.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
So, the body bushing kit I bought was missing 2 bushings. I had to pull teeth with the manufacturer to get them to send me the missing pieces, which arrived on Tuesday. I was able to finish the bushing swap tonight.
View attachment 626634 View attachment 626635

I did have one casualty though... the bolt that goes in the circled spot below has stripped threads.
So, now I'm on the search to try and find another one. I'll start another post with a WANTED ad.

View attachment 626636

View attachment 626637 View attachment 626638
This is why I use Black Silicone Adhesive on all my threaded outside bolts.
Stops the rust from destroying threads on things that stay put for a long time.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I got my stereo system last week, so I could finally finish up the gauge housing.

First, down to clean steel...
Water Liquid Fluid Rectangle Paint

Then primer to protect it...
Water Liquid Fluid Rectangle Atmospheric phenomenon

I played with a bunch of different layouts, but I chose to keep it close to stock. Just simply for ease of installation, and it let me keep the majority of the original bezel intact which allowed me to have more mating surface for when I glued the two pieces together...
Wood Natural material Gas Font Automotive tire

Font Electric blue Wood Art Plastic

I used some glaze putty to fill in the edge and make it look pretty...
Wood Bumper Building Automotive exterior Rectangle

Wood Building material Hardwood Automotive exterior Composite material

I made my measurements and got out the hole saws. 2" for the small, 3 3/8" for the large...
Rectangle Asphalt Ceiling Font Gas

Primer again and paint, then attached the bezel to the dash housing. Dropped in the gauges and did some wiring...
Gauge Motor vehicle Vehicle Measuring instrument Tachometer

I recently found out that they make round stereo head units for boats. I wasn't sure how I was going to work in the stereo AND the tach. I was happy to find the round option.

All that's left is to add turn signal indicators, brake light indicator, and reverse warning light.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I got my stereo system last week, so I could finally finish up the gauge housing.

First, down to clean steel...
View attachment 627900

Then primer to protect it...
View attachment 627901

I played with a bunch of different layouts, but I chose to keep it close to stock. Just simply for ease of installation, and it let me keep the majority of the original bezel intact which allowed me to have more mating surface for when I glued the two pieces together...
View attachment 627902

View attachment 627903

I used some glaze putty to fill in the edge and make it look pretty...
View attachment 627904

View attachment 627905

I made my measurements and got out the hole saws. 2" for the small, 3 3/8" for the large...
View attachment 627906

Primer again and paint, then attached the bezel to the dash housing. Dropped in the gauges and did some wiring...
View attachment 627907

I recently found out that they make round stereo head units for boats. I wasn't sure how I was going to work in the stereo AND the tach. I was happy to find the round option.

All that's left is to add turn signal indicators, brake light indicator, and reverse warning light.
Round stereo?!?! Wow, that would keep a lot of people from stealing it. They would never know to look at that!

Reactions: KurtfromLaQuinta

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I'm curious if it's ergonomic to use in that spot.

The dash looks great. Nice work!
It's well within arms reach, but yeah a little bit further than the stock knobs.

But, it does have a remote. So, once it's playing you can just use the remote to flip through songs.

It's located about where the circle is below.
Vehicle Wheel Car Motor vehicle Tire

61 - 80 of 97 Posts