Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, I'm diving into a mild resto on my 75 TD.

I started with new wheels and tires...
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Car

Pretty much the bottom 3-4" of the old girl needs new metal, so I started by cutting out the floor pans and then moved onto the driver's side. Had to rebuild the rusted out inner cab support from some extra metal I had in the shop. Then put in a new rocker panel...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Bumper

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Wood Line

Textile Wood Tool Gas Bumper

More pics to come

Reactions: Lzed

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking good so far.
I used Zink based weld through primer before I covered mine up. The copper base can cause rust.
Jim
Yeah, that's also what I'm using. 3M zinc based. $30 a can, hope it works!

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Lol, I was thinking the same thing! I love the wheels you chose. A lot of times it's hard to find a newer wheel that looks good on an older truck.
Eric

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only a Dodge guy would call that “mild”.
Ha! Point taken.

I guess I'm trying to say that I'm not doing a full frame off/nut & bolt/replace every part type of restoration. I would consider some body panel replacement pretty standard in any level of resto, even a mild one.

If you have a few minutes, you can see my 1970 Duster rotisserie restoration here (been going for 4 1/2 years now). This is why I'm considering the work on the Trailduster "mild", compared to it.

Reactions: jcruse64

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol, I was thinking the same thing! I love the wheels you chose. A lot of times it's hard to find a newer wheel that looks good on an older truck.
Eric
Hey thanks. Yeah I like them too. I kinda stumbled on them accidentally. Vision 353 Turbine is the make & model.

I like the old school turbine wheels, but they can sort of date the truck back to the 80's. Which is fine if you are going for the stock look. I Googled turbine wheels and these popped up. Plus they have them in 15"-20" sizes. So, you can make pretty much whatever wheel/tire combo you like.

I knew I definitely wanted the white letter tires, which actually narrowed down the wheel size possibilities.

I'm happy with how they turned out.

·
Registered
8,145 Posts
Ha! Point taken.

I guess I'm trying to say that I'm not doing a full frame off/nut & bolt/replace every part type of restoration. I would consider some body panel replacement pretty standard in any level of resto, even a mild one.

If you have a few minutes, you can see my 1970 Duster rotisserie restoration here (been going for 4 1/2 years now). This is why I'm considering the work on the Trailduster "mild", compared to it.

Your Duster is turning out really nice!
And so is your truck!

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finished a bit more metal work last weekend. Almost complete, just need to do passenger floor pan and rear wheel well lip on both sides. Then I still need to clean up the welds and seam seal everywhere.

Lower quarter panel and driver side floor pan...
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

I found a nice rust hole under the inner cab support, and also had to rebuild the cab support. It's a bit ugly, but it will never be seen...

Wood Gas Tints and shades Ceiling Room

Wood Plumbing fixture Tap Kitchen Gas

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

I ordered an extra set of wheel arches to repair the inner wheel well lip on both sides. Now I'll have some metal to attach the outer wheel lip to...
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Rim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I managed to get a little time today to get after some more metal work. Slowly, but surely, I'll get the old girl back on the road!

Both floor pans are in and seam sealed. In regards to seam sealer, I do not live by the thinking that "less is more".
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Also, got the driver's side rust repair done. Now I just have to finish sanding down the filler.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car

Reactions: jcruse64

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Is your TD dropped in front at all? Or am I just looking at it wrong. I seem to have a little more room between my tires and fender. (77 RC 2WD)

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not dropped, to my knowledge. But, it could very well be the original (or very old) suspension and has sagged over time.

Also, tires are 265/60R18, so they do take up some space in the wheel well.
Is your TD dropped in front at all? Or am I just looking at it wrong. I seem to have a little more room between my tires and fender. (77 RC 2WD)
Here's a pic straight on...
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
OK. Yes, I was looking at it wrong. That is about what mine looks like with 31 10.5's. Holly sells the LCA's that are like the vans but are a direct bolt up for the RC's and D series trucks 72-93. I plan to go that route if I ever make my truck the priority. sigh

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I needed a little break from bodywork, so I decided to restore my tail light assemblies. I thought I'd post this in case anyone might be interested in doing theirs.

First, a quick spin in the blast cabinet and then primer & paint...
Dress Grey Sports equipment Street fashion Pattern

Automotive tire Product Synthetic rubber Automotive lighting Silver

Next, for the brake/turn bulb, I got a trailer hitch connector and a reproduction pigtail. Measured out some wire and got to work with some butt connectors and heat shrink...
Wood Automotive lighting Road surface Flooring Automotive tire

Gas Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Wood

Automotive tire Nozzle Valve Gas Wood

Then, time for the reverse bulb connection. Found the pigtail at O'Reilly's and paired it with a simple bullet connector...
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Road surface Bicycle Asphalt

Road surface Gas Electrical wiring Wire Cable

Ran the wires together in sheathing and tested the connections. Everything looked good...
Rock-climbing equipment Line Bag Luggage and bags Carabiner

Cloud Comfort Wood Lamp Tints and shades

When the time comes to install these, I'll slap a beautiful new lense on each side and call it good...
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 105 Posts