Dodge RamCharger Central banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
After all the comments I think I am going to epoxy prime and paint the underside satin black, the spray some undercoating in the wheelwells, thanks guys

·
Registered
52,683 Posts
Signguy97 said:
After all the comments I think I am going to epoxy prime and paint the underside satin black, the spray some undercoating in the wheelwells, thanks guys
I would paint everything. Undercoat will crack letting water in and starting rust. Flaking paint is better than undercoating because the water doesn't get trapped. Paint flakes off and surface rust comes after. Undercoating cracks gives you no signs and traps the water under it causing rust.

My .02$

·
Registered
174 Posts
Signguy97 said:
Plugging along here, got the underside of the body all cleaned up. It is in really good shape so not many repairs to do, replaced two body mounts and added two more on the next rib up. Acouple of repairs to the lower fenders and it's ready for some type of undercoating.
Extremely jealous of how easy that looks to work on with the whole cab standing on end like that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Finished all the repairs, decided to prime with a polyurethane etching primer, and topcoat with polyurethane satin black that we use in my sign shop, made by Mathews ( PPG) bulletproof stuff. Then sprayed Proform undercoating in the wheelwells, going to drop it down tomorrow and prep and spray the firewall, then it's time to pop that body back on!

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looking good. Out here where things rust I will agree paint is best underneath. I did my Crew Cab with epoxy primer, 4 coats, then Raptor liner, as that has proven to hold up, and I wanted a bit of sound deadening for the diesel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Moparbob1987 said:
That body looks heavy how did you lift it up on end
The body itself isn't that heavy, maybe a thousand pounds, there is an overhead hoist on that I beam above, I lifted it most of the way with that then pushed it to lean on the column with a forklift. It made it very easy to work on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ya that's basically how I did the crew cab also. Stood it on the firewall to sandblast. All the weight in these dodges is in the firewall area really.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That thing will be up there =)

Paint and body work, always the biggest pain but worth it. I think with our crew cab the largest pain was rebuilding all 4 of the doors. Those require a fair amount of patience. I let my wife do them LoL

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Not sure why those pics loaded twice, but anyways the body work took me more like three months not three weeks, but it's coming together now

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The body is going together really well, got all my trim back from the playing shop, looks great, I posted on the vehicle help section , I need the two pieces of trim that surround the marker lights on the front fenders, if anyone reading this knows of any

21 - 40 of 46 Posts