Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone im new to the dodge world, and ive encountered an issue with my truck. Its a 1975 dodge d200 2wd with a 318 motor with 87000miles, and a manual tranny. I recently bought this truck a couple months ago and it ran flawlessly, until I changed out the thermostat. After i had replaced the thermostat i ran the truck for 20min to see if there were any leaks from the housing, there were none so i shut the truck off and called er a day. Next day would not start at all. I think somthing overheated, but im not sure.

i checked for spark and there was none so i figured id throw some parts at it lol. New plugs, new ballast, new ignition coil, new volt regulator. Still nothing, so i went through all the wires from the engine bay to the firewall, and under dash. All wires seem to be in good shape.
I then grabbed a test light and checked the starter relay, ignition coil etc. Everything has power. I eventually got it started for a few minutes after i played with the ignition coil. I noticed on the ignition coil i was getting power on both the pos and neg, and when there was no power on the neg it would start.. the next thing i was thinking about replacing is the ignition switch.

I dont know what else to check or do. Any advice, or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The ICU's frequently go bad. If you buy one that is not Chrysler or Chrysler approved they inevitably go bad fast. This is on the Drivers side inner fender.

·
Registered
29,755 Posts
check to make sure you have power where your suppose to [ see diagram ] and if you do then either the Dist pickup or coil or ECM is bad , the coil can be tested with a scratch test [ see diagram ] , the Dist pickup can be Ohm'ed out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts