Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,832 Posts
Well I got back a little while ago from dropping off the 71 demon/duster to Chris.  ;D

I picked up a gas tank for the crew cab and an air cleaner lid for the Charger he had.  ;D

I'm holding the 340 ransom till I get the rest of the money though.  :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
mopar65pa said:
Well I got back a little while ago from dropping off the 71 demon/duster to Chris. ;D

I picked up a gas tank for the crew cab and an air cleaner lid for the Charger he had. ;D

I'm holding the 340 ransom till I get the rest of the money though. :p
Hey there's a car i don't recognize parked outside :p

Yep. $300 to go and there'll be a 340 sitting on the garage floor. Or $350 if you include that 273 4BBL Intake. I plan on hauling out a Gigantor Load of junk early next week. Junk prices are way up ($3.10 a pound for Copper & Brass, 50 cents a pound for Aluminum, $11 a Hundred for Steel).

And i've got...err 100 - 150 Pounds of copper, 30 - 40 pounds of Brass (and counting, i'm still cleaning the garage), 300 - 400 Pounds of Aluminum, a literal 18-wheeler load of Tin/Cast, and Dumptruck loads of Steel.

I will be hauling out for ages at this rate, but my wallet sure won't be complaining, and neither will the '71 Demon when it has a shiny new 426 Mopar Perf Block sitting in it ;D

Oh yeah..pics would be nice, wouldn't they? :p









 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,832 Posts
{cool}

At those prices I guess I'd better get a load of scrap together.  ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
mopar65pa said:
{cool}

At those prices I guess I'd better get a load of scrap together. ;D
Now you're talking ;D

And on the topic of the Demon, I think i know the best way to fit the Elephant under the hood and work on it too...Chop the Core Support Off, Cut off the Inner Fenderwells and remove the hood... What's that leave?

Shock Towers, Frame Rails, K-Frame and a Firewall. Ease of maintence, and then i'd make everything Removeable 8) Wanna yank an exhaust manifold or starter without a problem, unbolt the fender and fenderwell and it's a straight shot ;D Kinda like Mad Max's Tilt Front Clip on his '71 Demon, only without the tilt front clip :p

Also Considering a Coil Sprung/Strut Front Suspension for the car :eek: Can you say "Suweeet" ;D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,424 Posts
Chris, when I did the Demon's tilt, I had to make extra extra certain the front frame section didn't collapse even a milimeter before i got the roll cage poking through and doiong the job of the inner fenders.  Without the inner fenders there's nothing substantial to support the front frame.  Just sayin'  ;)
- Sam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,832 Posts
ChrisKD said:
Now you're talking ;D

And on the topic of the Demon, I think i know the best way to fit the Elephant under the hood and work on it too...Chop the Core Support Off, Cut off the Inner Fenderwells and remove the hood... What's that leave?

Shock Towers, Frame Rails, K-Frame and a Firewall. Ease of maintence, and then i'd make everything Removeable 8) Wanna yank an exhaust manifold or starter without a problem, unbolt the fender and fenderwell and it's a straight shot ;D Kinda like Mad Max's Tilt Front Clip on his '71 Demon, only without the tilt front clip :p

Also Considering a Coil Sprung/Strut Front Suspension for the car :eek: Can you say "Suweeet" ;D
{cool}
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Mad Max said:
Chris, when I did the Demon's tilt, I had to make extra extra certain the front frame section didn't collapse even a milimeter before i got the roll cage poking through and doiong the job of the inner fenders. Without the inner fenders there's nothing substantial to support the front frame. Just sayin' ;)
- Sam
Kinda figured i might run into something like that, My first car (the '73 340 Dart Sport) broke the subframe on both sides right at the control arm mounts.

My thoughts on the Structural Areas of this car is something along these lines :

Removeable Fenderwells and Core Support (but reinforced too ;) )
Reinforced Front Frame Rails (particularly from the Shock Tower and back)
Crossmember at the Front of the Rails
Linked Front and Rear Frames, with an Additional Crossmember behind the transmission.

For the Wells and Core i was thinking maybe span the mounts for the rear of the fenderwells across a bit more of the firewall, and mount the front of the fenderwells and core support to the front crossmember.

I'm no good with describing what i'm thinking though :p I'd love to hear any of your thoughts on the structure, ect since you've done a similar project before. Oh and do you have any twisting issues with your Demon? My '74 Duster like to twist when i wail into it, and that's just a 340.

Or as Tony and i were laughing about today, regarding the amount of twisting the Demon is gonna do. "Yeah, i'll hit the throttle and hear a BOOM....woops there went the side windows." and he replied. "Yeah and there'll be nice wrinkles right here" (pointing to the roof/quarter panel area) "And your rear window will be laying on the road" :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,832 Posts
ChrisKD said:
Or as Tony and i were laughing about today, regarding the amount of twisting the Demon is gonna do. "Yeah, i'll hit the throttle and hear a BOOM....woops there went the side windows." and he replied. "Yeah and there'll be nice wrinkles right here" (pointing to the roof/quarter panel area) "And your rear window will be laying on the road" :p
{yes} {gloating}
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,622 Posts
ChrisKD said:
Kinda figured i might run into something like that, My first car (the '73 340 Dart Sport) broke the subframe on both sides right at the control arm mounts.

My thoughts on the Structural Areas of this car is something along these lines :

Removeable Fenderwells and Core Support (but reinforced too ;) )
Reinforced Front Frame Rails (particularly from the Shock Tower and back)
Crossmember at the Front of the Rails
Linked Front and Rear Frames, with an Additional Crossmember behind the transmission.

For the Wells and Core i was thinking maybe span the mounts for the rear of the fenderwells across a bit more of the firewall, and mount the front of the fenderwells and core support to the front crossmember.

I'm no good with describing what i'm thinking though :p I'd love to hear any of your thoughts on the structure, ect since you've done a similar project before. Oh and do you have any twisting issues with your Demon? My '74 Duster like to twist when i wail into it, and that's just a 340.

Or as Tony and i were laughing about today, regarding the amount of twisting the Demon is gonna do. "Yeah, i'll hit the throttle and hear a BOOM....woops there went the side windows." and he replied. "Yeah and there'll be nice wrinkles right here" (pointing to the roof/quarter panel area) "And your rear window will be laying on the road" :p
I haven't seen too much twist in As. In Es it is downright awful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I've been building the "Dream List" on my laptop to build a Hemi, you know "Window Shopping" for the best deals.

Indy Heads sells a Cast Iron Hemi Block for $2,800 ($200 cheaper than the Mopar Perf Block at the Dealership). Not sure which one to go with though, sure it may be $200 cheaper, but is it reliable?

Found a Complete Comp Cams Stud Mount Rocker Assembly (all 16 Rockers, Stud Mount "shafts", ect) for $850, that's about $2,000 cheaper than buying all the Mopar Perf Rockers, Shafts, Pedestals, ect  :eek:

Then again for a huge price tag (5k), Indy Heads sells a complete Top End (Heads, Valvetrain, Intake, Valve Covers, Gaskets, Pan ect)  I just have to figure out which is the better deal.. buying the parts individually, or as a complete package.

2 Mopar Perf Heads (Assembled, Pair) is $2,500 and change.
Comp Cams Rocker Setup : $850
Dual Inline 4BBL Intake : $450
Valve Covers (pair) : $300
and then i'd still have to find the small oddball parts (Spark Plug Tubes, Gaskets, Valve Cover Studs, ect)

It looks like the price would work out to be about the same by the time you figure everything up, and in the end it saves from doing the run-around for that one part you forgot to buy  :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,832 Posts
ChrisKD said:
I've been building the "Dream List" on my laptop to build a Hemi, you know "Window Shopping" for the best deals.

Indy Heads sells a Cast Iron Hemi Block for $2,800 ($200 cheaper than the Mopar Perf Block at the Dealership). Not sure which one to go with though, sure it may be $200 cheaper, but is it reliable?

Found a Complete Comp Cams Stud Mount Rocker Assembly (all 16 Rockers, Stud Mount "shafts", ect) for $850, that's about $2,000 cheaper than buying all the Mopar Perf Rockers, Shafts, Pedestals, ect :eek:

Then again for a huge price tag (5k), Indy Heads sells a complete Top End (Heads, Valvetrain, Intake, Valve Covers, Gaskets, Pan ect) I just have to figure out which is the better deal.. buying the parts individually, or as a complete package.

2 Mopar Perf Heads (Assembled, Pair) is $2,500 and change.
Comp Cams Rocker Setup : $850
Dual Inline 4BBL Intake : $450
Valve Covers (pair) : $300
and then i'd still have to find the small oddball parts (Spark Plug Tubes, Gaskets, Valve Cover Studs, ect)

It looks like the price would work out to be about the same by the time you figure everything up, and in the end it saves from doing the run-around for that one part you forgot to buy :p
good luck with that. Too rich for my blood. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
mopar65pa said:
good luck with that. Too rich for my blood. :p
To be honest, it's too rich for mine too :p But i've always wanted a Hemi in a Duster/Demon ;D The engine will be worth more than the car around it :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,832 Posts
ChrisKD said:
To be honest, it's too rich for mine too :p But i've always wanted a Hemi in a Duster/Demon ;D The engine will be worth more than the car around it :p
That's about right. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Another mod i'll be doing to the Demon, just undecided which to do.

I've got 2 Glass (Pop Out / Removeable Glass style) Sunroofs, and of course one in the '71 Duster too. And a Spare Roof (cut off at the Quarters and Wiper Cowl) with the Factory Moonroof.  Debating which one to use in the Demon.

Factory Moonroof, or a Glass Sunroof.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,832 Posts
ChrisKD said:
Another mod i'll be doing to the Demon, just undecided which to do.

I've got 2 Glass (Pop Out / Removeable Glass style) Sunroofs, and of course one in the '71 Duster too. And a Spare Roof (cut off at the Quarters and Wiper Cowl) with the Factory Moonroof. Debating which one to use in the Demon.

Factory Moonroof, or a Glass Sunroof.
Don't the factory ones tend to rust things out? I know the "Doba" I had never sealed right. BUT I think they ran tubes for the water it collected out the rear quarters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
mopar65pa said:
Don't the factory ones tend to rust things out? I know the "Doba" I had never sealed right. BUT I think they ran tubes for the water it collected out the rear quarters.
Yeah they've got rubber hoses that run from the Moonroof, across the headliner (behind it obviously) and partway down the Quarter Panel, water still builds up inside the body though :-\ If i was to install the Moonroof, i'd run the tubes all the way through and out of the body underneath, and then seal everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,832 Posts
ChrisKD said:
Yeah they've got rubber hoses that run from the Moonroof, across the headliner (behind it obviously) and partway down the Quarter Panel, water still builds up inside the body though :-\ If i was to install the Moonroof, i'd run the tubes all the way through and out of the body underneath, and then seal everything.
Mine was elec I liked it accept for the fact it never closed right. I even had the dealer look at it. {noclue}

BTW

http://ramchargercentral.com/mopar-trucks/the-new-78-crew-done-painting!!!!/new/?topicseen#new

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Santa decided to go early this year, and he brought presents for the Demon ;D

A set of Sporty Power-Heated Bucket Seats (need reupholstered) and a 21 Gallon Fuel Tank :eek:





The seats came from a 70's Volvo (i had 2 sets, one set is hiding under a pair of cheap seat covers in the '74 Duster)

The Gas Tank was compliments of a 1987 Shortbed D50.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,832 Posts
{cool}

Well there goes the trunk floor to make room for a gas tank. OH wait there is no floor back there. LOL..........  :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
mopar65pa said:
{cool}

Well there goes the trunk floor to make room for a gas tank. OH wait there is no floor back there. LOL.......... :p
Oh yeah, no trunk floor has it's advantages in this case. ;D The Hemi hasn't even began yet, and i can already hear my wallet screaming in pain...21 Gallons of fuel NOOOOOOOO :p
 
61 - 80 of 115 Posts
Top