Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to the slightly "odd" build thread your reading.

The project is a 1951 Dodge M37

The "plan" is to make it useful in less than 60 days, for $1000 and to drive it out of the shop. My wife decided that I needed something "more relaxing" to do while waiting for crew cab parts. So...I have a budget of $1,000. I can use any part we already own, and the goal is 60 days and it runs/drives.

as found in my barn..

After a quick bath and sitting in our modest shop.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another shot of the other side...we like pictures right?

3 hours latter we had this....

Enter part 2 of the project... a 1985 W250 Bought new and kept all it's life in Las Vegas. It has your standard issue 360/727/208 combination with 43k original miles....a very nice dry truck really.

It has a few "previous Dodge owner regrets" As one of our very own here at RCC calls them... I'd agree.

About 3 hours latter, the "problem" was solved

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another shot of the other side...we like pictures right?

3 hours latter we had this....

Enter part 2 of the project... a 1985 W250 Bought new and kept all it's life in Las Vegas. It has your standard issue 360/727/208 combination with 43k original miles....a very nice dry truck really.

It has a few "previous Dodge owner regrets" As one of our very own here at RCC calls them... I'd agree.

About 3 hours latter, the "problem" was solved

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So....we have Dodge truck parts laying all over, may as well start the process of seeing what we can do with all this junk.

One of the "issues" we will have to address is the difference in frame "profiles" the M37 frame being "A-shaped" and the W250well standard Dodge issue W series Shaped LoL ...this results in the raised part of the W250 frame running into the M37's floor...severely.

So a hour or so with the death wheel tape measure we have this rough version of "it fits"

A diff view...of the "damage"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The front of the body and its "new" relation to the frame.....should be just enough room for some kind of rubber biscuit type mount I will have to create.

This is a shot of it "roughly" almost exactly how it will now sit on the frame.

Had to remove these two brackets to sink the body over the frame... the tool of choice. 2 minutes if that, the rivets are gone. One of the best tool investments I have bought...it can wreck almost anything. My wife calls it the "all hammer" because.... well I blame a dude in Northern Mexico for her nicknames. anyway.... that,s more or less day one and two...

I feel like we got little done, but I guess we did destroy two trucks, made small Dodge pieces from big ones, and added to our spare Dodge parts collection.... and more or less fitted the cab of that M37 to the W250 frame...on to day 3 and we shall what that brings.

·
Registered
794 Posts
What would be really cool is if you put the ram body on the m37 chassis. Then people could say " why are you driving that 80s ram like its from the 50s?" You could say, "it is from the 50s".

·
Registered
473 Posts
My old Power Wagon is so rusty, I’d love to install an M37 on my Cummins powered chassis . Good Luck and keep up the good work

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the W250 cab is solid, no rust/cracks...it spent its life in Nevada.

This could be done on a cummins rig, you'd need to use some of Jim's shackle hangers to relocate the front axle forward like we did in the crew. But it would be a loud noisy front heavy SOB>

Yesterday I really didn't have time to work on it much. But I did get the front radiator/support temp clamped in place and then the front fenders as well....they all fit, zero complications. It's just a matter of building some mounts at this point and the body is mounted.

Once that is done.... the next dilemma is a power train. I can use this 360, I might have a couple 440's laying around also. If I stuck with the 360, I believe I have a 518/205 combo I could toss in there.. a OD might be nice for much deeper gears at some point. .....still thinking on all this.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Well the W250 cab is solid, no rust/cracks...it spent its life in Nevada.

This could be done on a cummins rig, you'd need to use some of Jim's shackle hangers to relocate the front axle forward like we did in the crew. But it would be a loud noisy front heavy SOB>

Yesterday I really didn't have time to work on it much. But I did get the front radiator/support temp clamped in place and then the front fenders as well....they all fit, zero complications. It's just a matter of building some mounts at this point and the body is mounted.

Once that is done.... the next dilemma is a power train. I can use this 360, I might have a couple 440's laying around also. If I stuck with the 360, I believe I have a 518/205 combo I could toss in there.. a OD might be nice for much deeper gears at some point. .....still thinking on all this.
Did he say 440? ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LoL Kurt.... in my $1000 budget I have to be careful but I noticed I have a 1971 cop 440 in the barn that still turns over..had low miles when pulled also. I also have some nice reworked 6pak heads and junk I could toss on it. It's a possibility....but the lure of the LA motor is the 5184speed simplicity and not sure i really need a big block....but sometimes fun wins. We will see what my "barn of junk" provides. First I need it to run/drive and function to work out the bugs.

On that note the body is mounted...it fits fine. Nothing problematic has shown up. The largest issue, is to place the front axle where i want it in the fenders, the radiator-fan clearance will be tight.

More pics soon as I get the front fenders/mounted and it takes some shape.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts