Dodge RamCharger Central banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks, I'll post more pics when they are done and finalized. Been working on the barn outside on the long weekend. When we put in the beams and corrected the floor sag, the walls popped back into place. Therefore, I could put the last window in and do some more weather proofing.

Attachments

Reactions: neil4224

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I don't remember if you stated it already, but was this a kit barn when it was new? I'm thinking it wasn't.

Most of the barns out here in Iowa are early 20th century kit barns where every piece was shipped out on a railcar and brought in and assembled on site. Everything right down to the nails and door hinges came in the package. Very similar to the Sears and Roebuck house kits that were common back then.

By my observations, almost anything built post 1880s was built this way. Much more efficient for a family starting out than to hand hew one from local lumber. Once in a while you find an older barn that was hand hewn but they are not very common.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I dotn know if a kit barn. Would guess not, based on some of the floor beams were hand hewn in places, but mostly milled. Its had at least one renovation before this one that removed the sliding doors on the back side (east side) and the sills replaced on the north side, then tar paper placed. Plus the install of the 7 milking stalls in 1924-ish. (after the fire across the street burned the cow barn and cows to death in May 1917 leaving them with just this barn, the horse barn).
We've found remnants of 2 colors of paint on the claps as well- a nice blue and this red over it. Possibly a 3rd color, yellow, but cant tell if part of pigment/base of the red paint.

Reactions: TheBohunk
21 - 24 of 24 Posts