Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
The 16 inch rim is a better design in my opinion. The bead seat is way better and the 16 inch tires seem to be more common to have in stock at the tire stores. That being said im not sure is thornberg or super swamper make a tire in the 16" yet

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
16s have a safety bead. This means that if you air down the tires, you are less likely to pop a bead.

16.5s do not have a safety bead so you're more likely to pop a bead when airing down, but there are more oversized off road tires available in 16.5s then there are in 16s.

Don't put 16.5 tires on 16 in rims. The tire can blow off of the rim and cause serious injuries.

Ed

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have found that Interco is making several sizes for 16" rims. They are also starting to make tire for 17, 18, and 20 inch diameter wheels now. I think those are mostly for the mall crawlers with deep pockets!! Is is difficult to find rims in the 16.5" that are wider than 9.75? Thats seems to be a common. Thanks for the input.

·
7,995 Posts
Being the owner of factory 16.5" tires on my 77 W200, I can tell you that the tire selection is not extremely good. I basically drive on the highway only so I use radials. The 16" has many more tire selections available.:)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Chump said:
Being the owner of factory 16.5" tires on my 77 W200, I can tell you that the tire selection is not extremely good. I basically drive on the highway only so I use radials. The 16" has many more tire selections available.:)
i agree with chump on this one. i have not found very many oversized off road tires that were AFFORDABLE. i have done this research myself due to the fact not many places carry 16.5" tires anymore so as soon as my 16.5s wear out i am switchin to 16"s i found that 35" 16.5 were almost $100 MORE than the 16" equivalent. i personally would go 16s.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
the lack of a safety bead and no decent rim choices and they have been around forever / 16,s are the newer design with a safety bead and rim choices are very good and so is tire selection / unless you have a 1 ton that needs the wieght carrying Cap of the old style 16.5 go with the 16,s

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
If you want BIG tires, 16.5 has more selection then 16. You can get 16.5's very wide if you want, I had 14" wide 16.5 when I was running my 40" ground hawgs. The lack of safety bead is only a concern if you are going to run very low tire pressure on the trials, like less then 20 psi. If you want to go real low in tire pressure, get some 16.5 double beadlock wheels, you can run 0 psi and not lose a bead. Try that with single beadlock 16" wheels.

I have never had a problem finding tires for 16.5 wheels, but then again I don't run stock size tires. You can get military hummer tires, which are 36x12.5x16 goodyears for very cheap, I get mine for 39 bucks a pop and they are nearly new tread. I also run the hummer double beadlocks, I put new centers in and set the offset to 3.5". I run about 12 psi in the tires and have yet to lose a bead or any air, and I have had very bad side loads on the tires too.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
when I bought my 3/4 ton, it had the original skinny 16.5's on it. The tires needed replaced and I wanted a wider tire and rim. After comparing size availabilitity (around only 30") I went with the 16" as it had what I wanted and the prices were better. The load capacity is over 3000 per tire on these so loading wasn't an issue.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
I've heard of people laying a weld bead inside a 16.5 wheel to create a safety bead, but they still have a 15o seat instead of 5o like 15's and 16's have.

G

·
intenseimages said:
gmule said:
You can mount and dismount 16.5 in the driveway.
try that with a 16
ok greg, i will take that bet. lol of course i have access to a tire press so it isnt a big deal to me which i have ;D ;D

eric
I'm talking with primitive tools such as high lift, Prybar and starting fluid ;D

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
gmule said:
intenseimages said:
gmule said:
You can mount and dismount 16.5 in the driveway.
try that with a 16
ok greg, i will take that bet. lol of course i have access to a tire press so it isnt a big deal to me which i have ;D ;D

eric
I'm talking with primitive tools such as high lift, Prybar and starting fluid ;D
what the hell, no sawzall??? ;D ;D

and having had the mispleasure of doing some 14 inch tires with a little scissors jack, and a pry bar, i will take the bigger tires any day of the week

eric

G

·
One time I blew a tire across the front yard with a little too much starting fluid in it. The resulting explosion made my neighbors really nervous. I found out how many people have car alarms though.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
gmule said:
One time I blew a tire across the front yard with a little too much starting fluid in it. The resulting explosion made my neighbors really nervous. I found out how many people have car alarms though.
lmfao, i always miss all of the good stuff

eric

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
gmule said:
lol, I blew a 40x17 Ground Hawg striaght off the ground about 3 ft once :) Also once while using the starting fluid as a flame thrower to ignite the tire, I was a bit to close since I was low on fluid, the burst got all my hair on my left arm as well as a little bit of eye brow. No skin burns, but the burnt hair didn't smell good :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts