Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broke one today just below the bottom of the plastic stem cap.

How are these replaced, can I do it myself, or will I have to take it back to the dealer?

Thanks.

·
7,250 Posts
I would take it to the dealer or a tire store. It may need calibration once installed.

Chris

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm reading quite a few similar posts regarding this.  Can I get traditional stems installed so I don't have to worry about one of these failing while the wife's driving down the interstate?  I'm convinced these are junk.  The one I have basically corroded to failure.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Bobcat said:
I'm reading quite a few similar posts regarding this. Can I get traditional stems installed so I don't have to worry about one of these failing while the wife's driving down the interstate? I'm convinced these are junk. The one I have basically corroded to failure.

Thanks.
It might be possible, although you are forever going to have a light or codes.

G

·
Yes, you can remove the sensors and put regular rubber stems in place of the sensors. You will still have a light on telling you to check the air. However, I have in the past duct tapped them to the wheel barrel on the spare tire and set the air pressure in the spare to 35 psi to bypass the tps system. 

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aluminum.

G

·
Bobcat said:
Aluminum.
In the future if you elect to keep the TPS system make sure the tire shop uses the nickel plated valves inside the stem and use plastic caps to minimize corrosion from the different metals. Replacment sensors cost between 15-40 dollars depending on which ones your vehicle uses.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Caps are all plastic and I doubt the valves have ever been replaced.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts