Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have a guy that is wanting me to pull his blown V6 and swap in a V8 ..  I am needing to know what i have to change to accomplish this ??  I would assume the engine computer is a given and possably the transmission ..   

Thanks
JC

·
Administrator
60,447 Posts
You are going to need to do a bunch of research, and be prepared for surprises.  I'd start with a factory service manual. Research the wiring, there may be a bunch of differences, Not just the engine harness either. Wiring to the trans, is off the rear body harness.

other thoughts.

Drive shaft slip joint may be different.
Radiator? 
Shroud
Air cleaner? intake hose
Exhaust?
Transmission lines

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
I'd start with a V8 van and sell the V6 one to offset the price ;) .

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ToxicDoc said:
I'd start with a V8 van and sell the V6 one to offset the price ;) .
only problem with that is he has converted this one to a mini RV so it is not feasible to just swap vans .. he is just wondering if it is feasible "cost effective" to swap in a V8 to get better milage he has to keep his foot pretty much to the floor with the V6 so his thinking is with V8 less go pedal less gas ? i am not sure if he would see any milage increase or not

JC

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
swamthang said:
only problem with that is he has converted this one to a mini RV so it is not feasible to just swap vans .. he is just wondering if it is feasible "cost effective" to swap in a V8 to get better milage he has to keep his foot pretty much to the floor with the V6 so his thinking is with V8 less go pedal less gas ? i am not sure if he would see any milage increase or not

JC
I would think not cost effective at all. As learned from our trucks, the aerodynamics are a big factor in base fuel usage. Then he'd have to reconcile the cost of the swap vs any theoretical increase (unlikely, but even if) in mileage. Gears and a good tune up might help more.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya it is a just a big box that is stuffed wit all kinds of crap like generators hard wood floors bed table etc..  i told him he should look to diesel if he want milage and power not sure if i can cram a 4 in there or not ??    as for a good tune up not going to help this engine it has a rod out the side of the engine lol

JC 

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
swamthang said:
ya it is a just a big box that is stuffed wit all kinds of crap like generators hard wood floors bed table etc.. i told him he should look to diesel if he want milage and power not sure if i can cram a 4 in there or not ?? as for a good tune up not going to help this engine it has a rod out the side of the engine lol

JC
A really good tune up would include new rods ;)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL and  a BLOCK lmao  ya that is what started all of this was when he saw what a new engine cost for the V6 he started thinking about going a head and upgrading while it was open

JC

·
Registered
153 Posts
swamthang said:
only problem with that is he has converted this one to a mini RV so it is not feasible to just swap vans .. he is just wondering if it is feasible "cost effective" to swap in a V8 to get better milage he has to keep his foot pretty much to the floor with the V6 so his thinking is with V8 less go pedal less gas ? i am not sure if he would see any mileage increase or not

JC
V6 SWB vans are wound tight on the highway. That 3speed trans doesn't help MPG either. So yeah your big and not aerodynamic but a 5.2 would not lumber around so much and probably get just as bad mileage and not noticeably worse, unless....

1) how much are you actually in part throttle closed loop? Dont know?

2) throw a wide band o2 sensor on it. I like Innovates LC1. Log a bit of data. Then lean it out a bit for better millage. You'd be shocked how rich you run down the road. $190 brand new and it would pay off fast a truck.

Here's my outdated MPG thread for my old commuter car. I run one on the wife's minivan also, which is where i noticed CoT issue described below. Also did this on a B350 w 5.9 mag. YES it does help, noticeably. When done right you should throw a CIL for the down stream o2. I would NOT go so lean in a truck/van as i do in my Breeze and Neon.

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=318526

3) With any amount of headwind, hills, I'll guarantee that big van spends too much time in CoT (catalytic over temp) and the ECU will just DUMP raw gas down the pipe. Basically the computer calcs how much time is spent @ x% of the throttle position and then estimates the catalytic converter temp. Once past a certain threshold it will just dump raw gas to cool off and save the cat. No you cannot turn this "feature" off. But you can LEARN to drive better so it doesn't kick in, aka don't accelerate UP big hills. More torque and not towing helps also.

IF you do the swap, i'd think about the OD trans also. OD will help a bunch but not with your V6 as stated above. You might need the trans cross member also? The engine swap should be easy. Dakota guys do it all the time. Check in one of those forums for the details. You'll need a computer and engine harness for that motor. it should all plug in to the body harness without much hassle. But yeah research first. IF you go 5.2 you'll need a zero balance TQ/flex plate. I dont recall if the V6s were external balanced or not.

IMO for better mileage I'd go 5.2, OD, with the LC1 set to about 15.8~16:1 AFRs. The game here is to burn the gas in the engine and not the cat.

-Troj

1 - 9 of 9 Posts