Dodge RamCharger Central banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You could not pay me to buy a Dakota. One of the early '90s models might be ok, but the PCMs in the 2000s era are unreliable and are near impossible to find a quality one. The rebuilder we use through Stellantis can't even fix them anymore. In the last couple months we have had two '06 Dakotas, one 4.7L and one 4.7L HO, and an '05 all needing PCMs. The '06 4.7L just came back with it's reman PCM defective and that supplier is out and won't have one of our cores rebuilt for 6 months. Yeah, to hell with a Dakota unless you are going to gut it and just use the body like Sam. Before buying anything in the EFI era, I would be checking the parts availability first rather than end up with an expensive lawn ornament.
what are you thoughts on the 360 dakotas? I seen other members say the 4.7 is junk. what issues did you run into? I usually see plenty of part Dakota’s local

·
Super Moderator
29,545 Posts
The 4.7L is pretty much junk and has a lot of various issues that are well documented online. I usually take complaints with a grain of salt, but with the 4.7L, it's most likely 100$ factual.

As for the 360 Magnum, they were decent engines, good power compared to the LA series. I had a few issues with the valvetrain running mine hard, but nothing terrible. Not nearly the power of the Hemi engines, but decent for the time. I don't know that I would go out of my way to find or pay for a 360 Magnum. If you are used to a 318 LA, the Magnum 318 will feel like a big block and are easier to find. In the end, it depends on what you want. Don't pay collector prices for something with no collector value.

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The 4.7L is pretty much junk and has a lot of various issues that are well documented online. I usually take complaints with a grain of salt, but with the 4.7L, it's most likely 100$ factual.

As for the 360 Magnum, they were decent engines, good power compared to the LA series. I had a few issues with the valvetrain running mine hard, but nothing terrible. Not nearly the power of the Hemi engines, but decent for the time. I don't know that I would go out of my way to find or pay for a 360 Magnum. If you are used to a 318 LA, the Magnum 318 will feel like a big block and are easier to find. In the end, it depends on what you want. Don't pay collector prices for something with no collector value.
thanks!!! I’m looking at that Dakota stroked to a 408 tomorrow, or I’m supposed to be. I want a fun little truck to scoot around in. my LA 318 is very much a dog against my fathers mag 318.
I’ve been also searching for d150/250’s but these guys in the market want 10k+ for an LA 318 with a cam and body in OK condition lol

·
Registered
553 Posts
If your good with wiring, you could always bypass certain things or replace them with better components worse comes to worse. Depends on how your local laws are and whether or not you have inspection. I know a couple people have had good success with Autocrossing the dakota, light (er) truck and still big enough to house a V8.

Neil

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You could not pay me to buy a Dakota. One of the early '90s models might be ok, but the PCMs in the 2000s era are unreliable and are near impossible to find a quality one. The rebuilder we use through Stellantis can't even fix them anymore. In the last couple months we have had two '06 Dakotas, one 4.7L and one 4.7L HO, and an '05 all needing PCMs. The '06 4.7L just came back with it's reman PCM defective and that supplier is out and won't have one of our cores rebuilt for 6 months. Yeah, to hell with a Dakota unless you are going to gut it and just use the body like Sam. Before buying anything in the EFI era, I would be checking the parts availability first rather than end up with an expensive lawn ornament.
This is the issue I have with my 5.9L '99 Durango. I'm ripping the engine out and putting it in an RC project. I'll be swapping the barrel intake for an Edelbrock and a Snyper, or an all in one MPFI unit. The Durango just wont run worth a shit. I had the PCM flashed but that was useless. I've read thru countless threads with folks having the same issue. Not one thread led to a fix. This is why you see so many durangos in the bone yard that aren't wrecked.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Delaware state inspection is usually just seeing if the windows, lights, and wipers work. Also if it’s loud or running rich, they will check to see if there is cats/mufflers. can potentially pass without a muffler depending who you get. the DMV does the inspection so if you get an older fella, you’ll probably failed because they always have a stick up the wrong hole. I failed with my RC because a bulb was burnt out and he told me a spot right around the corner has my bulb so I took 5 min to install it and went back around and passed.

Wouldnt say I’m horrible with electrical but certainly not a guy you’d go to if you had issues and wanted my opinion lol. Hard to believe an early 2000s truck is already 20 years old.

Reactions: neil4224

·
Super Moderator
1,341 Posts
As for the 360 Magnum, they were decent engines, good power compared to the LA
What he said. 360 fits, labotpmize body. Not a fan of strokers - compression , CFM, cam. Maybe cats to be legat at inspec.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts